Becoming a writing tutor is a great way to help other students while strengthening your own communication skills and gaining employment experience.
Writing tutors help students improve their writing through one-on-one sessions based on the students’ writing assignments. Tutors promote an understanding of the writing process and encourage students to solve problems and think critically, as well as help students learn specific writing and grammar concepts. They work with students from any SCC course at any stage of the writing process.
The Writing Center is looking for applicants who:
- possess good writing abilities,
- have completed English Writing 300 or ESL Writing 340 with an A or B,
- want to help other students become better writers,
- are students taking at least six (6) units at SCC,
- have a faculty recommendation, and
- are available to attend regular tutor training sessions.
Students who are hired must also sign up for a one-unit tutor training course.
Come to the Writing Center in LR-144 to pick up an application!
Or call with questions:
- Meghan Facciuto 916-650-2987
- Writing Center Front Desk 916-558-2126