Jesus (Frank) Malaret, Dean
Program Contact: Norman Lorenz
Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
Liberal Studies for Elementary Teachers
Associate in Arts Degree
This major is designed for students interested in teaching Kindergarten through 8th grade. Courses included in this major transfer into the Blended Elementary Teacher Education Program at California State University, Sacramento. Students who complete this major will be eligible to apply for the CSUS program to complete a bachelor degree and the requirements for a Multiple Subject Teacher Credential.
- The Writing Proficiency Exam should be taken at CSUS the last semester before transfer. Students must meet the Reading Competency requirement through either assessment, a class, or a college-level reading examination.
- Students must meet the Reading Competency requirement through either assessment, a class, or a college-level reading examination.
- The Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic exam should be taken at CSUS the last semester before transfer.
- It is recommended that the CBEST be taken anytime after taking ENGWR 300, ENGWR 302, and MATH 310.
Other CSUS graduation requirements:
- SOC 321, Race, Ethnicity, and Inequality in the United States
or ENGLT 334, Asian-American Literature
or COMM 325, Intercultural Communication
or SOCSC 300, Introduction to Ethnic Studies
- Foreign Language:
Students must complete the second semester of a foreign language (or satisfy CSUS foreign language graduation requirement.)
- Physical Education - any activity course.
Completing an Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies enables students to transfer to a four-year college and complete the requirements to become a credentialed K-8 Teacher.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- clarify and articulate career goals of becoming a teacher.
- transfer into the traditional Liberal Studies major and the Blended Liberal Studies Program at CSUS.