New Faculty FAQs:
What is the Salary Schedule for Adjunct Faculty?
Specific questions should be addressed to the Human Resources Office at the District Office. You may call: (916) 568-3112 to speak with someone.
How do I apply for a Teaching Position?
Follow instructions on the Los Rios Community College District Website:
Are there Maps available?
How can I confirm my Class Schedule?
Date, Time, Room Number, etc.
Look up the course(s) you have been assigned by going to the Class Schedule Website or check the LRCCD Faculty Web Page Generator for you. Select the Session, SCC Listings, the Subject, and the Course Number of your teaching assignment. The website is updated frequently and is more accurate than the printed catalog.
Any inaccuracies should be discussed with the supervising Dean, and the Department Chairperson.
How may I obtain a Parking Permit?
The Los Rios Police Department is issuing permits for adjunct faculty and temporary classified staff. In order to obtain a permit, faculty and staff must have either a copy of their Tentative Class Schedule, or Intent to Employ form, a photo ID, AND the license plate number of your car . Adjunct and temporary classified personnel must obtain a new permit every semester. The Police Department is now operating out of their new facility on Sacramento City College Way at the base of the new parking structure. Police Office hours Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. If you have any questions, please call 558-2221.
May I choose the Textbook for the course I am teaching?
You have the academic freedom to choose your textbook.
- The department must have adopted the textbook.
- The book should reflect the Course Outline and demonstrate academic rigor.
- Allow time for faculty members to review a copy of the textbook.
- To ask the department to consider adopting a specific textbook, please complete the Textbook Adoption Form in your Instructional Area's Division Office. Give the completed form and a copy of the textbook to the department chair for distribution. The Textbook Adoption Form requires three signatures from the department and related disciplines.
- If you are an emergency hire, or there is not much time before the term- a textbook request may have already been submitted to the College Bookstore for your section.
How do I get a copy of the Textbook?
- Request a Desk Copy of the textbook from the Publisher:
- Regional Textbook Book Representative: Ask them for all ancillary supplies that accompany the text.
- Learning Resource Center (Library) Reserve Desk: Ask if you may temporarily check out the text, if they have a copy on reserve. (916-558-2467)
- College Book Store:
Buy the textbook.
Save the receipt.
Return the book as soon as you get one from the publisher.
What should I include in a Syllabus?
- When creating your Syllabus, the following should be included:
- Course name, number, and code; meeting room, time and days; semester.
- Your name, voice mail number, and any other phone numbers where students may reach you as well as your office hours, location, and your Los Rios e-mail address.
- Required and recommended textbooks and supplies
- Required and advised prerequisites, co-requisites, and advisories
- Grading policies, scales and evaluation criteria
- Time line of the course, including specific assignments, and due dates and examination dates
- Course objectives and/or student learning outcomes
- Faculty philosophy
- Student Code of Conduct (consider your policy about the use of electronic devices-cell phones, computers, & games during class time.)
- Plagiarism/Cheating policy
- Tardiness and attendance policy
- Make-up policy
- Accommodations for students with disabilities
- Field Trips
- Ask the Instructional Area Division Administrative Assistant or your Department Chair for a copy of SCC's Course Outline from SOCRATES. (Your Syllabus must reflect the Course Outline.)
- You may also ask either of the above for copies of a previous syllabi used for the course. (Remember to compare them with the SCC Course Outline.)
Do I have the flexibility to develop my own Lectures, Exams, Quizzes, Assignments and Activities?
- You have the academic freedom to choose the presentation of the course.
- Your course content must reflect SCC's Course Outline.
- Ask the Instructional Area Division Administrative Assistant or the Department Chair for a copy of the Course Outline from SOCRATES.
What other things do I need to request?
You should confirm that the Instructional Area Division Administrative Assistant has requested the following for you:
Voice Mail (optional)
Any necessary keys
Mailbox--If you are teaching at an Outreach Center, your mailbox will be located at their site.
Intra/Inter Campus Mail: Multiple-use manila envelopes are available to enclose your intra/inter campus correspondence. Place the manila envelope into the plastic bin dedicated for this correspondence.
U.S. Postal Service mail is collected in a canvas bag, usually hung above the plastic bin. Please be sure to have postage on your parcel.
The mail is usually collected twice a day. (~11am and 2pm.)
How do I set up and access Campus Voice Mail?
How do I login to Email?
Where do I obtain Class Rosters to manage my class? (Attendance, adding & withdrawing students.)
The class rosters are available by using your Intranet Login.
Are there Grade books for us to use?
Download an Excel-Based Grade book through the New Media Lab.
When are Grades due for the end of the semester?
The Duplicating Office is located in Reprographics Center, R-1. Across the street from the Business Building.)
- Complete a Duplicating Request Form on-line. OR:
- Duplicating Request Forms are located in the BSS Division Office*.
- Have the Administrative Assistant sign the form.
- Paper clip a hard copy of what you want duplicated to the Duplicating Request Form.
- Place into an Inter-campus Mailing Envelope
- Send to the Duplicating Office through the campus mail.
*There is a copy machine in the Division Workroom for a limited amount of copying.
May I hold Office Hours? (Adjunct)
- Ask the Administrative Assistant and the Department Chair what space they recommend you to use. There is limited office space on the Main Campus.
- Many of the Outreach Centers have an open area and computers for you to use.
- Adjunct faculty who teach a .40 load may be eligible for compensation for an office hour. Please submit a copy of your office hours to your division office. Include that information on your Syllabus.
Am I eligible for a Staff ID Card?
Everyone may obtain a Staff ID Card. The card enables you to check out books and videos, and to use the library's online services. Please bring a photo ID and your Employee ID number to the Operations Office located on East Street, near Library Way.
How do I get a a Desire to Learn (D2L) site for my course?
Email: Jory Hadsell firstname.lastname@example.org
Textbook Publishers frequently offer tests, quizzes, PowerPoint presentations, etc. if you have adopted their textbook. Be sure to contact their textbook representative. You can upload these modules into your Learning Management System.
At the beginning of each semester there is an Orientation for New Adjunct Faculty. Look for the Orientation in the FLEX schedule.
Many other questions can be answered by completing the New Faculty Module.