Jesus (Frank) Malaret, Dean
Program Contact: John Polagruto
Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
Sacramento City Colleges Family and Consumer Science Department offers a rigorous nutrition degree program that is broad enough to prepare the student for further study in a variety of nutrition areas including: nutrition science research, food science and technology, dietetics, industry and many other exciting nutrition-related fields.
All students must complete the Required Program, plus either the CSU Path or the UC Path.
It is important to note that each four-year College/ University has slightly different requirements for transfer so it is critical for students interested in this major to map out their academic plan with a counselor.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate independent learning and effective communication skills.
- explain the principles of nutrition and its affects on health.
- assess the various sources of nutrition information and demonstrate where to find reliable nutrition information.
- analyze a diet for adequacy, balance and moderation.
- demonstrate an understanding of the relationships between chemistry, biology and nutrition.