Services for persons with disablities
Sign up to "walk" at the Commencement Ceremony
Commencement 2013 will be held at Sacramento Memorial Auditorium this year!
The deadline for registration to participate in commencement is May 10, 2013.
- What you need to know about commencement may be found in these Web pages.
- Graduates and graduate candidates assemble in front of the Memorial Auditorium at 1515 J Street at 5:30 p.m.
- The ceremony will begin at 6:30 p.m. inside the Memorial Auditorium.
- If you have not received an approval letter regarding your eligibility for graduation, call Admissions & Records at 558-2351.
- The ceremony will be held at Sacramento Memorial Auditorium at 1515 J Street in downtown Sacramento. Please arrive early to allow time for parking.
- For parking, you will have access to regular city parking options, which include metered street parking, or parking garages in the area. Bring cash for parking, as parking fees are enforced until 6 p.m., and should you choose to park in a garage, the fees will be enforced all night.
- Please visit the following website for a parking map of the Memorial Auditorium area to plan your arrival: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/transportation/dot_media/parking_media/pdf/Off_Map.pdf
- SCC does not conduct Commencement rehearsals. Graduates and graduate candidates are expected in front of the Memorial Auditorium by 5:30 p.m. appropriately attired in a black gown, black mortarboard, with the black tassel hanging from the right front side of the mortarboard.
- Only candidates will be permitted to participate in the Procession.
- Your name should be in the Commencement Program if you filed your petition to graduate according to the Admissions & Records deadline. Registering to “walk” does not guarantee that your name will be in the program.
- Academic Honors, described as Great Distinction (3.50 - 4.0+ GPA) and Distinction (3.0 - 3.49 GPA) in the Commencement Program, are calculated based upon your grades from all semesters prior to your semester of graduation. Contact Admissions & Records at 558-2351 to find out if you are receiving Academic Honors and therefore eligible to wear an Honor Cord at Commencement. The Academic Honors list will be available late March.
- Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
SERVICES FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
Accommodations for graduate candidates with disabilities must be requested in advance. If you are an individual with a disability, please call the Disability Resource Center at 558-2283 by May 12 and let them know how they can assist you.
For the deaf or hard of hearing, an American sign language interpreter will be present on stage.
This is a time when our most important public, your family and friends, are observing the graduating class and the College. Sacramento City College has a tradition of high standards. This final official ceremony should reflect that tradition with dignity.
- You do not need a ticket to participate in the ceremony.
- Sacramento City College requests your cooperation in complying with the following commencement dress rules. Approved commencement dress consists of black robe, black mortarboard and black tassel. Honor students may wear a gold cord. PTK members may wear a gold PTK stole and other approved PTK regalia sold in the SCC College Store. All other ornamentation, including but not limited to signs on the top of mortarboards, buttons, etc. are considered extraneous and are not permitted.
- Wear comfortable shoes. For safety reasons, bare feet will not be permitted and high heels are discouraged.
- Black mortarboard and gowns, announcements, diploma covers and PTK regalia may be purchased at the College Store beginning May 1. For information, call 558-2421, or email the College Store: email@example.com.
- There are no provisions at the assembly area or the Auditorium to leave coats, purses, backpacks, umbrellas or other personal belongings. FOR SAFETY REASONS, GRADUATES ARE NOT PERMITTED TO CARRY OR WEAR THESE ITEMS IN THE PROCESSION.
- When you gather in front of the Memorial Auditorium, fill-out a Stage Card, which you will keep in your possession until the time you are cued to present it to the Faculty Marshal during the program.
- The college has arranged for a commercial photographer to photograph graduates individually as they cross the stage upon receiving the diploma. Proofs and information on ordering prints will be mailed to participants by the photographer at no cost or obligation.
- Parking in downtown Sacramento around the Memorial Auditorium is standard street parking. Fees will apply until 6 p.m. There are also nearby parking garages that you may use instead searching for metered parking on the street. It is advisable to bring cash, should you like to park in one of the garages downtown.
- The ceremony may last up to two hours.
- For your safety, balloons, fireworks and other extraneous items are prohibited.
- The Los Rios Community College District prohibits the use, sale or possession of, or presence at an SCC event under the influence of, any controlled substance.
- Smoking during the ceremony is strictly prohibited.
- Turn off all pagers, electronic watch alarms, and cellular phones before the ceremony begins.
- Remain seated until you are given instructions to exit the Memorial Auditorium.
- Admissions & Records will mail your diploma to you.
Invite your family and friends to visit the Guest Information link on this website for ceremony information.
The Memorial Auditorium will open at 5:30 p.m. However, we advise you to arrive in advance of this time to allow for parking. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
You may purchase your mortarboard and gown from the College Store beginning May 1. The College Store will also offer purchase of graduation announcements, diploma covers, extra tassels and other commencement items.
Questions? Contact the College Store at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org