Re-using material is easy and also saves money. You would be surprised at how many times one piece of paper can be re-used. Here are a few more suggestions:
- Re-use file folders.
- Use replaceable labels on binders.
- If you are purchasing new furniture or equipment, fill out a Surplus Form on the old items. We may be able to re-assign them to another area.
- Paper containing non-confidential material and having only one-side printed is great art material for the Child Development Center. Give them a call at x.2542 for information and delivery.
Although it could go unsaid, there are a few other items we need to be aware of:
- Please do not bring in garbage from outside to dispose in our dumpsters.
- If you have unusual items (scraps from wood and metal labs, furniture, art scraps, physical education equipment), that is no longer usable, let us know so we can make sure it is properly disposed of.
- If you have items that need to be shredded on a regular basis, consider hiring a contractor who will guarantee that the material is to be recycled.
- Some wastes cannot be disposed of in a dumpster at all! These include hazardous wastes, biohazardous wastes, universal wastes, toxic wastes, batteries of all sorts and light tubes. These need to be removed in a different manner altogether. For information on what qualifies as these items and how to dispose of them, please contact Operations at x.2543.
Since we want to make sure that we have met our California State compliance requirements and to help us identify those areas going the "extra mile" in waste reduction, please let us know anytime you are able to accomplish reduction, re-use, or recycling that we may not be aware of. Such as:
- Delivery of a lot of boxes when the boxes are recycled by the company that takes them away.
- Sending printer cartridges directly to the company for recycling.
- Using shredded paper from your office as packing material.
Any way that you can help is appreciated!
If you would like to gain information on reducing waste and saving money at home, please contact us and we'll be happy to provide you with ideas and contacts.