Phone: (916) 558-2441
The Public Information Office is responsible for making sure all print publications and Web pages comply with Web and publication guidelines. Staff with questions concerning these guidelines should contact the Public Information Officer before finalizing the publication for print or posting to the Web. Staff in this office are also available to proofread.
The Public Information Officer is the college spokesperson when responding to the media, or may work with other college staff to advise them on how to prepare for a media interview. All media inquiries should be referred or reported to this office.
The Public Information Office is responsible for preparing and distributing news releases, news advisories, and public service announcements to radio, television, and newspapers. Some departments, such as music, theater, and athletics, prepare and distribute their own news releases after they have been reviewed by the Public Information Officer.
Staff are also encouraged to submit newsworthy items for City Chronicles. Be sure to include Who, What, Where, When and Why (when appropriate) and a contact name and phone number. The Sacramento Bee calendar section requires notification one month prior to an event. For non-calendar items, please forward a request for a news release to the public information office at least three weeks prior to an event.
What makes something news?
- Impact. Something that is likely to affect many people.
- Timeliness. Something that is immediate, recent, or about to happen.
- Prominence. Something involving well-known people or institutions.
- Proximity. Something or someone in the circulation or broadcast area.
- Unusual. Events that deviate sharply from the expected and the experience of daily life.
- Currency. Events, issues, and situations that are being talked about.