Many courses have enrollment conditions called prerequisites, corequisites or advisories on recommended preparation for the course.
These faculty-approved conditions are considered necessary and appropriate to ensure that students are adequately prepared to succeed in the course. It is the intent of Sacramento City College to guide students into courses in which they will have the greatest chance for academic success. It is your responsibility to show evidence that you have taken the pre- or co-requisite or have the required skills.
Exception to Prerequisite Process
View steps below to enroll in ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT courses in Los Rios. Prerequisites must be cleared prior to enrollment!
A course with a passing grade or test score that is REQUIRED by the student in order to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in the course.
In order to take ENGWR 301 (College Composition & Literature), you must have already completed ENGWR 300 with a grade of C or better.
A course that a student is REQUIRED to take the same semester as the other course.
Students must enroll in PSYC 330 if they are enrolled in PSYC 335.
A condition of enrollment when a student is advised, but not required, to meet before or in conjunction with enrollment in a course.
ECON 304 has an advisory of MATH 120, indicating to the student that their math skills improve their chances of success in the economics class.
How to Meet Prerequisites
Students enrolled in courses that have a prerequisite must provide verification to the instructor that they have met the prerequisite (this is done the first week of class with the exception of ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT courses – see below).
Supporting evidence includes:
- Official transcripts that verify that you have earned a “C” or better grade in the prerequisite course.
- Assessment test scores indicating placement in the desired course or higher.
- Your printed class schedule provides verification of enrollment in a corequisite course.
If you do not have the supporting evidence described on the left, but believe that you should qualify to enroll in the course, then you may challenge a prerequisite. Challenges should be filed at least one week before the start of instruction. Prerequisite Challenge forms are available in the department offices.
Criteria for challenging a course include:
- You have knowledge or ability to succeed in the course with the prerequisite.
- The course that provides the prerequisite is not readily available.
- You believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or being applied in that manner.
- You believe that the prerequisite was established in violation of regulations and/or the established District-approved policy and procedures.
Once you have completed the challenge form, the form (along with any supporting documentation) should be directed to the instructional department where it will be received by that department’s prerequisite challenge committee (locations are listed on form).
You will be informed in writing of the committee’s determination within five working days of the review. If a student enrolls in a course and does not meet the prerequisite, the instructor must drop the student from the course.
Exemption to Prerequisite Process
ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT Enrollment
PLAN AHEAD—DON’T DELAY YOUR ENROLLMENT IN A LOS RIOS COURSE!
To enroll in a ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT class at one of the Los Rios colleges, the prerequisite must be cleared prior to enrollment. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid delays in your enrollment.
You are automatically cleared to enroll in a ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT course if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at SCC or another Los Rios college.
- You have completed the appropriate prerequisite course at SCC or another Los Rios college with a C or better.
- You have taken the SCC (or other Los Rios college) assessment test and were placed into the course you want to add.
External Prerequisite Equivalencies
If you completed the equivalent prerequisite course at a college/university on the list
Submit official transcripts (unless already on file with SCC A&R) along with Prerequisite Equivalency Form to the Admissions & Records Office (external, in-progress coursework cannot be used).
If verified through an official transcript, the external course will be posted as Transfer Credit on your unofficial Los Rios transcript, which will clear your enrollment into the course
If you do not find your course on the list
If you believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in the ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH, and STAT course through other college/university coursework (or other credentials), submit the following to the Admissions & Records Office:
- Official transcripts (unless already on file with SCC A&R) (external, in-progress coursework cannot be used.)
- Course description from the college catalog.
- Prerequisite Equivalency Form If approved, a milestone will be set in the Los Rios enrollment system, clearing you to enroll in the course. Please allow 5 working days for processing.
For more information on the prerequisite enforcement, contact Admissions & Records at 916-558-2351.