- Dean: Chris Iwata
- Department Chairperson: Chris Daubert
The art program is designed for students interested in transferring to a four-year university or college, as well as students interested in furthering their skills in the visual arts. A wide range of courses are offered, providing students experiences in drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics, and other media.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate increased sensitivity to the visual world and its aesthetic traditions and assess such visual traditions.
- communicate experiences and ideas visually by designing and producing a variety of work in the visual arts.
- critique and analyze subject matter in the visual arts and demonstrate appropriate performance skills to treat that subject matter with a scope and intensity beyond the secondary level.
- compare, contrast, and assess the historical methods by which people have responded to themselves and the world around them.
- demonstrate an aesthetic understanding and the ability to make value judgments within the context of cultural and artistic creations.
Associate in Arts Degree
The Art Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.