English or English as a Second Language?
Students who speak a language other than English at home are strongly advised to complete the ESL assessment process in order to place in the appropriate ESL level.
Students who speak English language at home should take an English placement test.
Students can be placed into one of the following levels of English Writing courses at SCC:
Level 1 – EngWr 51 – Developmental Writing (4 units)
Level 2 – EngWr 101 – College Writing (4 units)
Level 3 – EngWr 300 – College Composition (3 units)
The English Assessment test:
- Consists of computerized Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills subtests
- Results of the computerized portion of the test are available immediately upon completion
- The English test takes approximately one hour, but is not timed
For English test schedule information see Testing Schedule in menu bar above.
The English Essay Assessment:
- Required if students is placed below English Writing 300 on the computer portion
- The essay test takes approximately 45 minutes to complete
- Results of the English essay are available 3 working days after the essay test date
Retest Policy for English Placement Test
Students may repeat an assessment test for an English test once without a referral from a counselor. After the second test, students may retest with a counselor referral after a minimum waiting period of 4 months.
**No retest may occur until the results of the English Essay have been posted, if applicable.