This program is designed for those who wish to pursue a career in marketing, marketing communications, or sales and progress into positions of higher responsibility. This curriculum has a two-fold purpose: 1) to introduce students to the principles of marketing, and 2) to help students acquire the knowledge, skill, and understanding they need as preparation for positions in marketing.
This program provides an opportunity for students to acquire knowledge and training for careers in sales, sales management, retail management, advertising, e-marketing, product management, marketing research, public relations, international marketing, services marketing.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- examine the major functional areas of business organizations, including management, marketing, finance, and accounting.
- assess which marketing communications will most effectively meet the needs of the marketplace.
- evaluate the principles of product development, pricing, distribution, promotion, and market research in the development and execution of marketing strategy.
- incorporate professional sales skills by effectively identifying and responding to customers’ needs.
- formulate a strategic marketing plan for a new or existing business.
- create the appropriate strategy, execution, and media for advertising.
- examine the different concepts of ethics and social responsibility.
- compose effective verbal and written communications in various business settings.
- formulate original ideas and concepts in addition to integrating the ideas of others into the problem solving process.
- evaluate practical business problems and utilize critical thinking in the determination of alternative solutions.
Associate in Science Degree
The Business, Marketing Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement
A Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.