Computer Information Science Contacts
- Program Contact: Amy Zannakis
- Program Contact: Michael Dixon
- CIS Department Co-Chair: Tim Taylor
- CIS Department Co-Chair: Sheley Little
Computer Information Science Links
- CIS - Applications - Schedule of Classes
CIS - Core - Schedule of Classes
CIS - Networking - Schedule of Classes
CIS - Programming - Schedule of Classes
CIS - Security - Schedule of Classes
CIS - Web - Schedule of Classes
This Computer Science program is designed for students preparing for careers in computer programming and systems analysis. It provides the lower division foundation in currently used and advanced programming languages, databases and operating systems.
Technical positions include: computer operator, computer programmer, systems analyst, database administrator, computer support or help desk specialist, Web developer, and application developer. California is experiencing a shortage of students completing a BS degree in these fields and this shortage is expected to be worse in 2020.
Discover the latest trends and salary data for more than 70 positions in Information Technology and Computer Information Science:
2015 SALARY GUIDE: IT Salary Evolution
California State University, Sacramento offers majors in Computer Science and Computer Engineering through the School of Engineering and Computer Science and also Management Information Science as part of the Business Administration degree. Students planning to transfer to California State University, Chico or University of California, Davis should include computer-programming languages in C++ or Java, assembly language, data structures, discrete structures, one year of analytical geometry and calculus, and physics or chemistry. Students must also meet university admission requirements and other general education courses as outlined by each university. Consultation with an SCC counselor is advised.
If you are interested in transferring to a four-year college or university to pursue a bachelor’s degree with this major, it is critical that you meet with a SCC counselor to select and plan courses for your major. Schools vary widely in terms of the required preparation. Assure you complete your Student Education Plan as soon as possible to meet transfer requirements.
Computer Science Explained in less then 3 minutes
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- analyze development projects.
- build a project while utilizing the project development model.
- manage a programming project, both individually and as a member of a team, from initial concept through design, programming, debugging, testing, and deployment.
- evaluate a program to determine how it will meet the needs of its intended audience.
- use a database to store data associated with programs written in a programming language.
- design, write, test, debug, and implement computer programs in a structured language, a low-level language, an object-oriented language, or scripting language.
- create programs utilizing a variety of programming environments.
Associate in Science Degree
The Computer Science Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better.