Information Processing Contacts
- Professor: Sheley Little (M. Little)
- Assistant Professor: Karen Parks
This certificate builds upon a previous background in the use of microcomputer application programs. As the student advances in an office-related career path, technical expertise in all aspects of information processing is expected. In addition to advanced software courses in spreadsheet and database management, this certificate also provides the student with hands-on training in hardware support and maintenance.
This certificate prepares students to become office workers who can utilze the typical tools required in most offices. These positions require a high proficiency with office software applications as well as the ability to identify and troubleshoot microcomputer problems.
Such positions include: secretaries, office workers, first line supervisors, administrative analysts, information resource personnel, or lead administrative specialists. Based on Bureau of Labor Statistics (2008-2018) figures, job demands in these areas will grow approximately 11.0% annually and will continue to exceed the number of available and trained workers.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- design, implement, manage, and evaluate data management systems involving custom macros to solve complex business problems.
- analyze and integrate data from various application programs for individual and group on-the-job projects.
- set up, test, and implement complex macros and scripts for on-the-job usage.
- demonstrate understanding of basic hardware components and the organization, installation, and repair of microcomputers.
- evaluate different hardware and software specification standards and implement problem-solving strategies or techniques using various diagnostic tools.
- analyze on-the-job needs, identify software and hardware related problems, and effectively communicate solutions to end users.
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.