Nail Technology Contacts
- Department Chair: Marcia Bonawitz
This is a one-semester program consisting of the following: beginning, intermediate, and advanced training in the art and science of Nail Technology. Completion of these 500 hours of theoretical and operational requirements will prepare students to meet the requirements to sit for the California State Examination in Manicuring and will prepare students for employment. The program includes professional image, basic procedures for manicuring including hand and arm massage, basic procedures for pedicure including foot and ankle massage, acrylic nails, nail tips and wraps, gel nails including light and no-light cured, basic electric file techniques, basic airbrushing techniques, nail art and design, customer relations, professionalism, and salon business.
The Nail Technology field is one of the fastest growing of the cosmetology industry. This lucrative field employs both men and women, and it provides an opportunity to work for a large or small establishment, as well as being self-employed.
Completion of COSM 100, with a grade of “C” or better is required within a two year period, prior to the beginning of the cosmetology and nail technology (manicure) courses. A proof of completion form for COSM 100 will be issued and must be presented on the first day of the next COSM course. In COSM 100, students will be introduced to the field of Cosmetology and Nail Technology (manicuring). The course is designed to give students a clear understanding of the subject matter and procedures of Cosmetology and Nail Technology, along with the policies of the SCC Cosmetology Department. In addition, students will receive training in customer relations, professionalism, and working with other students.
Recommended High School Preparation
Art, anatomy, physiology, chemistry, English, and math.
Approximately $700.00 is required at the beginning of the semester for textbooks, kit, uniforms, and personal supplies. In addition, there will be costs throughout the semester for program materials and supplies. Students must purchase the required kit and textbooks by the end of the first week of class or they may be dropped from the program for that semester. The student kit, textbooks, and some uniform items are available at the SCC College Store. Students who anticipate that these costs may create a financial burden should consult the Financial Aid Office for possible assistance. Students need to apply for financial aid at least one semester prior to the start of the program.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate latest manicuring and pedicuring procedures and techniques for the salon workplace.
- adapt skills in nail enhancements to meet industry standards and client need.
- demonstrate technical knowledge and skills relating to implement, equipment, and materials; nail cosmetic preparation; clean-up, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- demonstrate skills learned in the nail technology program pertaining to client interaction, concentrating on client health and safety, client analysis, and evaluation of products used in all phases of nail technology.
- formulate, demonstrate, and complete tasks in nail technology procedures in preparation for the California State Board of Cosmetology written and practical examination.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.
Required Course Units
COSM 100 Introduction to Cosmetology …………………………………….2
COSM 150 Art and Science of Nail Technology …………………………11
COSM 151 Art and Science of Nail Technology – Lab ………………..5.5
Total Units Required: 18.5