Disability Services and Programs for Students at Sacramento city college is looking for volunteers!
Volunteers provide services that contribute to a student’s academic success and college experience. Volunteers provide support services that offer students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of college programs and activities. Other benefits include:
- Free training
- Work experience
- Community service
- Add to your resume (we’ll document your hours)
What kinds of opportunities are available?
- Notetaker: Attends class with student and provide neatly written summary/notes of class lectures to student after class.
- Scribe: Writes for in-class assignments and, if assigned, write for exams and quizzes at the DSPS Proctored Testing Center. Scribes will write only what is dictated to them by the student.
- Reader: Reads print materials in-class and/or during exams.
- Lab Assistant: Helps gather, setup, and clean materials.
- Exam Proctor: Monitors students while they are taking their exams at the Proctored Testing Center, schedules exam appointments and pick up/delivers exams.
- Adapted P.E. Student Assistant: Assists the instructor in working with students taking Adapted P.E. courses.
- Assistive Technology Computer Lab Assistant: Assists students with a variety of computer accommodations and answers questions regarding various software programs (i.e. JAWS, ZoomText, Kurzweil) and hardware (i.e. TrackBall, Scanners, Intellikeys Keyboard).
- Alternate Media Assistant: Assist the Alternate Media Specialist with converting course materials into accessible formats (i.e. Braille, Tactile Graphics, Electronic Text, large print).
- Clerical Assistant: Performs a variety of general office functions such as, but not limited to, answering phones, providing program information, schedule appointments.
How can I become a volunteer for DSPS?
To become a volunteer, please fill out a volunteer application at our office. We are located in temporary buildings 8 and 9 (Behind the fine arts building). Volunteer applications are also available for download here.
Return all volunteer applications to Fong Vang at DSPS. For more information, call Fong at 916-650-2792 or email him.