A major in English offers students an opportunity to take courses in literature, composition, and creative writing. It prepares students for university-level studies in English or other disciplines and also readies students for the workforce by emphasizing reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
A degree in English is a good gateway towards a career in teaching, law, technical writing, creative writing, editing/publishing, marketing, and any occupation requiring clear communication skills.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- assess and comprehend texts on a literal level.
- analyze texts on thematic, rhetorical, metaphoric, and symbolic levels.
- synthesize multiple perspectives on a literary text.
- demonstrate an understanding of the social and historical context for a work of literature.
- produce and communicate clear and effective arguments and ideas.
Associate in Arts Degree
The English Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.