A Major in English offers students an opportunity to take courses in literature, composition, and creative writing. It prepares students for university-level studies in English or other disciplines and also readies students for the workforce by emphasizing reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree offers students an opportunity to take courses in literature, composition, and creative writing. This degree prepares students for transfer-level studies in English at a CSU and also readies students for the workforce by emphasizing reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
The Associate Degree for Transfer student completion requirements (as stated in SB1440 law):
(1) Complete a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State university, including both of the following:
(A) The California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0. ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- assess and comprehend texts on a literal level.
- analyze texts on thematic, rhetorical, metaphoric, and symbolic levels.
- discuss authors, forms, and movements of literature in English by employing terms of literary analysis.
- examine literary text in order to demonstrate an understanding of the social and historical context for a work of literature.
- produce and communicate clear and effective arguments and ideas.
- evaluate and integrate research materials to support an original argument by using current Modern Language Association methods and forms.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer (AA-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.