- Dean: J. Frank Malaret
Family and Consumer Science Department Contacts
- Dean: J. Frank Malaret
- Child Development
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Education Administration
- Early Childhood Education Teacher
- Elementary Teacher Education
- Family Child Care
- Infant Care and Education Teacher
- School-Age Care and Education Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Program: Catalog Information PDF
Current research on early care and education has emphasized the importance of formal education and specialized coursework combined with supervised field experience in the development of teachers who are able to provide high quality educational experiences for children.
The Early Childhood Education Program at Sacramento City College has three major responsibilities: academic preparation, workforce development and leadership. We provide students with:
- 1. academic courses based on child development theory and best practices in early care and education.
- 2. courses that orient them to the field of early care and education.
- 3. the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in the workforce.
The Early Childhood Education and Child Development faculty engage in leadership through collaboration with educational, community, industry, state and federal partners.
The American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education stated that “high quality ECE teachers are essential for addressing pervasive and persistent educational problems such as low reading and math achievement, particularly of children from low socioeconomic environments." And that good preschool teachers should have at a minimum:
1. knowledge of child development, based on sound theory and practice.
2. understanding of what is developmentally appropriate practice and assessment.
3. knowledge and understanding of the foundations for literacy and numeracy and of appropriate and effective methods
to foster their development and acquisition.
4. understanding of the children and families with whom they work.
The study (American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education) also recommended that the profession “credential all ECE staff/teachers; prepare all professionals in the field to be competent experts in early childhood education and educate society that early childhood is a distinct time of life with corresponding pedagogy based on scientific research.”
This program provides preparation for employment in early care and education settings and for further study in child development. The coursework includes foundational courses in the field including the… MORE >>
Early Childhood Education
The Associate in Arts in Early Childhood Education for Transfer is designed to provide a clearly articulated curricular track for Sacramento City College students preparing to transfer in Child… MORE >>
Early Childhood Education Administration
The Early Childhood Education Administration A.A. Degree provides preparation for employment in early care and education settings in an administrative position. The program meets the educational requirements for directors… MORE >>
Early Childhood Education Teacher
The Early Childhood Education Teacher A.A. Degree provides preparation for employment as a teacher in early care and education settings. Upon completion of the degree students will be eligible… MORE >>
Elementary Teacher Education
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer is designed to meet the introductory content area subject matter for requirements for teaching at the elementary school level…. MORE >>
Family Child Care
This program prepares students to operate early care and education programs within their own homes. The courses listed exceed the course requirements for the Department of Social Services, Community… MORE >>
Infant Care and Education Teacher
This program provides preparation for employment in early care and education settings. The program meets the course requirements for staff at the teacher level working with infants in private… MORE >>
School-Age Care and Education Teacher
This program provides preparation for employment in school-age care and education settings. The program meets the course requirements for staff at the teacher level in private school-age care and… MORE >>