Elementary Teacher Education Program Contacts
- Program Contact: Norman Lorenz
- Co-Chairperson: Amy Strimling
- Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer is designed to meet the introductory content area subject matter for requirements for teaching at the elementary school level. The courses in this degree satisfy general education requirements for graduation at Sacramento City College and transfer. Additional requirements for the Elementary Teacher Education major may vary at each CSU campus. It is highly recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss graduation and transfer requirements.
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) student completion requirements (as stated in SB 1440 law):
(1) Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer enables students to transfer to a four-year college or university that accepts the degree and complete the requirements to become a credentialed K-8 Teacher. The courses in the degree are liberal studies courses which offer a broad educational foundation useful in many careers.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- clarify and articulate career goals of becoming an elementary teacher.
- integrate the attitudes, actions, dispositions, and behaviors required of a professional educator into a teaching skill set.
- apply analytical reading, writing, research, and critical thinking skills to gaining knowledge and teaching it to others.
- demonstrate the breadth of knowledge necessary for teaching in a classroom with multiple subject areas.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer (AA-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.