Instructional Assisting Program Contacts
- Co-Chairperson: Amy Strimling
- Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
Instructional Assisting Program Links
Upon completion of program, students are prepared for work in K-12 and related educational institutions at the paraprofessional level under the supervision of those with professional degrees. Students with the A.A. degree will be compensated at a higher level than those with a certificate due to increased breadth and depth of the program. It is anticipated that future developments in the field of education will contain many openings at the paraprofessional level. Students proposing entry into this program should consult with counselors and Early Childhood Education instructors before pursuing it.
Students will be qualified to apply for Instructional Aide positions in special education programs in public schools K-12.
For more information about program costs, graduation rates, median debt of program graduates, and other important information regarding gainful employment, please visit: http://www.losrios.edu/gainful-emp-info/gedt.php?major=051157C01
To be eligible for enrollment in the program, the student must meet the following criteria:
- current negative TB test.
- ability to pass the Criminal Record Clearance or receive an exemption proving eligibility to work with children.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- apply for instructional aide positions in special education in public schools K-12.
- integrate child development fundamentals and basic educational practices into lesson planning when working with children.
Associate in Arts (AA) Degree
The Instructional Assisting, Special Education Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.