Nutrition and Foods Program Contacts
- Co-Chairperson: John Polagruto
- Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
Nutrition and Foods Program Links
Sacramento City College’s Family and Consumer Science Department offers a rigorous nutrition degree program that is broad enough to prepare the student for further study in a variety of nutrition areas including: nutrition science research, food science and technology, dietetics, industry, and many other exciting nutrition-related fields.
All students must complete the Required Program plus either the CSU Path or the UC Path.
It is important to note that each four-year college or university has slightly different requirements for transfer so it is critical for students interested in this major to map out their academic plan with a counselor.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- explain the principles of nutrition and their effects on health.
- assess the various sources of nutrition information and demonstrate where to find reliable nutrition information.
- analyze a diet for adequacy, balance, and moderation.
- demonstrate an understanding of the relationships between chemistry, biology, and nutrition.
Associate in Science Degree (AS)
The Nutrition Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.