Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is an employment and need-based program subsidized by the federal government that allows students to earn wages in specialized employment positions.

To be considered for FWS, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); indicate interest for FWS on the FAFSA; demonstrate financial need; have an eligible Educational Goal; be enrolled and maintain a minimum of 6 units; maintain financial aid satisfactory academic progress; and receive a SCC financial aid award notice.

Funds are limited and not all students who apply and are eligible will receive a FWS award!

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

  • File your FAFSA each year by March 2nd to be considered for Work-Study.
  • Answer “YES” to question #31 on FAFSA: “In addition to grants, are you interested in being considered for Work-Study?”
  • Submit documents requested by the Financial Aid Office before established priority deadline.
  • Stay in good academic standing.
  • Enroll in at least half time.

What requirements must I meet to participate in the Work-Study program?

  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in a program leading to a degree, or transfer, according to federal standards.
  • Have been offered and officially accepted a Work-Study award for the current academic year.

How much am I eligible for?

Your financial aid includes the initial maximum of $4,000 in Work-Study, this is the total amount you can earn as a Work-Study student. Your financial aid offer splits $2,000 for Fall and $2,000 for Spring but as far as Work-Study is concerned, you can earn any or the entire amount at any point during the program year while enrolled and as long as you are going to be enrolled for both semesters.

How do I find a Work-Study job?

  • Once a student is determined that they are eligible for FWS and given an award, they will have to find a work assignment on campus.
  • Interested students should see the Career Center, located at Rodda North 147, for a copy of the FWS Job Placement Binder or check the glass window in Rodda North hallway. This publication lists are available FWS Jobs on campus.
  • Review the positions and fill out a Student Application form for the jobs that interests you.
  • You will be contacted by a department’s FWS supervisor for an interview.
  • You cannot begin working until your Employment Packet has been completed. Some departments require criminal background checks on FWS employees prior to being hired.
  • Contact your FWS supervisor to establish a work schedule.

Are there any restrictions with Work-Study jobs?

  • FWS students must be officially registered and remain enrolled in at least 6 units in order to participate in the FWS program.
  • Students must keep an accurate, up-to-date accounting of all FWS earnings. Reduction and increase in FWS awards are subject to the availability of funds, and to the student’s continuing eligibility.
  • When a student comes within $500 of exceeding their award allocation, they will receive a letter advising to plan accordingly so that they will not exceed their FWS award allocation.

How many hours per week can I work?

  • A national study showed that students who work 10-15 hours per week have a higher graduation rate than the overall student body. However, the graduation rate begins to decline as the number of hours worked increases above 15. Students who tried to work more than 20 hours per week and go to school full-time have the highest dropout rate.
  • We strongly discourage any student from being employed in more than one area on campus. Since the combined total of hours worked cannot exceed 26 hours a week, or eight hours per day, both areas would have to coordinate the student’s work schedule so the hourly limits and FWS funding are not exceeded. It is the student’s responsibility to notify both supervisors that he/she is employed in another department.

What is the pay rate for a Work-Study student?

  • A monthly pay period is defined as: “The hours earned from the 25th day of each month through the 24th day of the following month.”
  • Your paycheck is based upon hours worked. Your pay rate is $9.00 per hour. Paydays are once a month on or around the 10th.
  • Timesheets must be completed to reflect the total hours worked per day and be submitted to Yelena at the Financial Aid Office according to the established deadline.

Can I work after the last day of the Spring semester?

Yes, you may work up to June 30th to use your current academic year Work-Study award.

Is Work-Study available for the Summer semester?

To be considered for Summer Federal Work Study, you MUST:

  • Be continuing Federal Work Study student from the previous Spring semester
  • Enroll in at least 3 units for Summer
  • Enroll in at least 6 units for the following Fall semester
  • Complete FAFSA for coming year before March 2nd
  • Submit all require documents to the Financial Aid by priority deadline

Can I keep working if I’m not enrolled or graduated?

Not as Work-Study. If you dropped below 6 units, withdrew, dismissed, or graduated, you cannot continue to work in a work-study position. It ends on the last day of your enrollment. If an employer wants to keep you and pay you 100% of your earnings without the Work-Study subsidy, that is between you and your employer, otherwise it is not Work-Study employment. You must notify your employer of your change in enrollment.