The following presentation and steps describe the process of requesting and receiving financial aid to help pay for your college education.
- Complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (CADA) starting January 1st (March 2nd is the SCC priority deadline for the FAFSA and a deadline for the CA Dream Act Application).
- Complete a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by March 2nd. Community College students who are eligible to complete a FAFSA have a second deadline of September 2nd to submit their Cal Grant requirements.
- SCC electronically submits a GPA for students with 24 earned SCC units, or a re-established GPA with 16 earned SCC units by deadlines.
- Outside earned units may calculated by SCC Adm&Rec on GPA form.
- HS graduates with less than 16 earned college units should return to their HS.
Students who completed the 2016-2017 FAFSA or CADA will be directed to eServices to check their Financial Aid status for Fall 16 enrollment and beyond. IMPORTANT: See the Financial Aid Office to request a paper copy of your financial aid information.
- Around Mid-April the SCC Financial Aid Office loads student files for the upcoming academic year.
- SCC Financial Aid sends out an email (Los Rios Gmail) notifying students to log-in to “My City Aid” to check their Financial Aid Status. Beginning April 2016, students will use “eServices” to check their 16-17 Financial Aid status, and receive “Messages” in the portal.
IMPORTANT: By logging into the portal, you consent to obtaining your financial aid documentation and award information electronically. If not, see the Financial Aid Office to request a paper copy of your financial aid information.
- Students are randomly chosen for verification.
- Your Financial Aid File will not be processed until all documents are submitted.
- If you submit all your documents by early June, you will be guaranteed Financial Aid disbursement the first week of school.
- Allow 4-6 weeks to process your file.
- Always be aware that more documentation may be required. If this is the case you will be contacted by our office immediately using the Messages link in eServices.
- Some files may be released to the Department of Education, or the California Student Aid Commission. If this is the case, your file may be delayed a week or two.
Among many other factors your award is also based on your enrollment status.
|Status||No. of Units|
|Full-time status (Fullx)||12.00 or more|
|Three -quarter time status (3/4x)||9.00-11.99|
|Half-time status (1/2x)||6.00-8.99|
|Less than half-time status (<1/2x)||0.50-5.99|
Sample Awards for Students Who Have Zero EFC
|Enrollment Status||Annual Award||1st payment per term||2nd payment per term|
IMPORTANT: Students receive two disbursements per semester starting Fall 16 forward. For example, a Full time student may receive two disbursements of $1444 and $1444 to equal the payment of $2888 during the the Fall semester. While, a less than 1/2 time student will receive two disbursements, $260 and $259 to equal $519 during the Fall semester. IMPORTANT: Disbursements change after your enrollment changes. Disbursement dates listed in eServices are the dates the Financial Aid Office begins the disbursement process for the standard first, and second disbursements.
- There are two disbursements per semester. (Our office disburses funds every Friday)
- Continuing students must log on at BankMobile to select a disbursement preference. New students must log on using the activation code they receive from BankMobile in their Los Rios Gmail account to select a disbursement preference (make sure that your email, name, and address is correct with the Admissions and Records Office).