The following presentation and steps describe the process of requesting and receiving financial aid to help pay for your college education.
- Complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (CADA) starting January 1st (March 2nd is the SCC priority deadline for the FAFSA and a deadline for the CA Dream Act Application).
- Complete a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by March 2nd. Community College students who are eligible to complete a FAFSA have a second deadline of September 2nd to submit their Cal Grant requirements.
- SCC electronically submits a GPA for students with 24 earned SCC units, or a re-established GPA with 16 earned SCC units by deadlines.
- Outside earned units may calculated by SCC Adm&Rec on GPA form.
- HS graduates with less than 16 earned college units should return to their HS.
Students who completed the 2016-2017 FAFSA or CADA will be directed to eServices to check their Financial Aid status for Fall 16 enrollment and beyond. IMPORTANT: See the Financial Aid Office to request a paper copy of your financial aid information.
- Around Mid-April the SCC Financial Aid Office loads student files for the upcoming academic year.
- SCC Financial Aid sends out an email (Los Rios Gmail) notifying students to log-in to “My City Aid” to check their Financial Aid Status. Beginning April 2016, students will use “eServices” to check their 16-17 Financial Aid status, and receive “Messages” in the portal.
IMPORTANT: By logging into the portal, you consent to obtaining your financial aid documentation and award information electronically. If not, see the Financial Aid Office to request a paper copy of your financial aid information.
- Students are randomly chosen for verification.
- Your Financial Aid File will not be processed until all documents are submitted.
- If you submit all your documents by early June, you will be guaranteed Financial Aid disbursement the first week of school.
- Allow 4-6 weeks to process your file.
- Always be aware that more documentation may be required. If this is the case you will be contacted by our office immediately using the Messages link in eServices.
- Some files may be released to the Department of Education, or the California Student Aid Commission. If this is the case, your file may be delayed a week or two.
Among many other factors your award is also based on your enrollment status.
|Status||No. of Units|
|Full-time status (Fullx)||12.00 or more|
|Three -quarter time status (3/4x)||9.00-11.99|
|Half-time status (1/2x)||6.00-8.99|
|Less than half-time status (<1/2x)||0.50-5.99|
Sample Awards for Students Who Have Zero EFC
|Enrollment Status||Annual Award||1st payment per term||2nd payment per term|
IMPORTANT: Students receive two disbursements per semester starting Fall 16 forward. For example, a Full time student may receive two disbursements of $1444 and $1444 to equal the payment of $2888 during the the Fall semester. While, a less than 1/2 time student will receive two disbursements, $260 and $259 to equal $519 during the Fall semester. IMPORTANT: Disbursements change after your enrollment changes. Disbursement dates listed in eServices are the dates the Financial Aid Office begins the disbursement process for the standard first, and second disbursements (they are not student specific).
- eServices displays two standard disbursements dates per fund. The dates ARE NOT your disbursement dates. SCC disburses Financial Aid funds on Fridays ONLY. The amount and type released displays in your eServices Account Activity screen the Thursday night before it disburses. SCC checks for disbursement eligibility weekly (while school is in session).
- Continuing students must log on at BankMobile to select a disbursement preference. New students must log on using the activation code they receive from BankMobile in their Los Rios Gmail account to select a disbursement preference (make sure that your email, name, and address is correct with the Admissions and Records Office). All students should take time to review BankMobile Contract Disclosures.