Students in A Global Economy (SAGE) is a first-year learning community experience for Latina/o students that support the transition from high school to college.
The goal of the program is to successfully transition new students to college via participation in an intensive summer experience, and a full-time, first-year learning community. During the SAGE experience, students will capitalize on exciting workshops and professional opportunities that have a global economy focus.
SAGE is designed to serve the needs of first-time to college Latina/o students, particularly those from low-income households who demonstrate college readiness. Student must also:
- Have a High School GPA 2.5 or higher
- Have a H.S. diploma, GED, CHSPE, or equivalent
- Plan to enroll and maintain 12 units or more
- Qualify for FASFA, BOG Fee waiver, or demonstrate low income status
- Complete the Los Rios application, including assessment placement.
When does the program start?
The summer portion referred to as the Summer SAGE Experience is from August 1-August 11, 2016 (Monday-Thursday, 9:00-3:00). SAGE students participate in both the summer and academic program components.
Why should I choose the SAGE program?
- Helps you become a successful student who graduates in 3 years or less
- Provides you exclusive counseling services from the beginning to the end
- Provides career exploration and financial literacy so you can make informed decisions
- Provides tutoring support and academic resources unique to the pathway you choose
- Offers you dynamic opportunities to engage in internships and study abroad experiences
- Ideal for students who want to explore law, policy, business, economics, or a related field of study.
Can I get help with the cost of college?
Although the SAGE program does not provide a direct grant to students, the program can orient you to services such as:
- Based on your income, you may qualify for Financial Aid assistance or a fee waiver based, which can offset your college expenses.
- You may also qualify for scholarships
- Provide you access to a textbook lending library for textbooks related to the SAGE learning community courses (loan for the duration of the course).
How do I apply for the SAGE program?
Complete your application online. You must have your Los Rios ID number to complete the application. You will be asked to prepare a personal statement as part of the application. If you have questions, you may contact the office.
The deadline to complete the application is July 15, 2016.
U.S. Department of Education – A Developing Hispanic Institutions Project – 2015