Below you’ll find a list of the changes in this new version, grouped by tool. These changes apply to all users (both course owners and students).
Content Updated Notifications: Instructors can now notify students of changed content when they update or change a file from Content.
- Discussion Participation Improvements: You can now force students to create a thread before being able to read and reply to other student’s posts at the forum level, which will then apply to all topics within that forum. This is great when you are making use of group topics – now the option only has to be set once, rather than on each topic individually.
- Statistics Improvements: Discussion statistics now calls out the number of threads a student has created and replied to separately.
- Discussion Post Ratings: You can set discussion post ratings on a per-topic basis, rather than for the entire course.
- New Rating Schemes: One that allows the class to vote posts up and down, giving each post a cumulative score, and another that allows the class to only vote posts up as a way to show agreement or approval. In both, your vote displays along with the cumulative score for that post. You can also configure it to show only your vote for cases where you don’t want students to see the cumulative score. To make it easier for you to use these new rating schemes, you can set a default rating scheme in Discussions Settings that apply for all newly created topics and any topics imported to the course without a rating scheme set. If you wish to change the rating scheme in the middle of a discussion, you are free to do so, and all rating data is preserved in case they decide to switch back. Discussion statistics will include information about the number of votes Up or Down a forums and topic has received.
- New Discussion View: Students and faculty can now see the author of the last post next to the topic. Click on unread to sort through unread messages quickly or use the Sort by function to sort messages by author, subject, or date.
- Email Classlist: The “Email” button in Classlist has been renamed to “Email Classlist” to better reflect the corresponding action.
- Evaluate Empty Submission: It is now possible to evaluate a student from Dropbox even if no submission was made to the dropbox folder.
- Role Switch Added: The Role Switch functionality has been placed in the profile drop-down menu in the Minibar.
- Integrated Dropbox Functionality: Now students submitting to a dropbox folder from the Content Tool can access the dropbox folder’s evaluation rubrics before submission, and also access completed rubrics after their evaluations are published.