SCC Spring 2015 application opens on September 5th.
The deadline for the Spring 2015 semester is November 1, 2014.
Thank you for your interest in the International Student Center (ISC) at Sacramento City College (SCC). SCC is considered a 2-year college but many international students require additional time to meet course prerequisites and/or complete basic skill courses (reading, writing, computation, and English as a second Language). International students may attend a community college to:
- Obtain an Associate’s Degree,
- Obtain General Education to Transfer to a University, or
- Obtain an Associate’s Degree and General Education to Transfer to a University.
If you are seeking information regarding an English as a Second Language (ESL)
Program of study only, please go to our website tab with local ESL Program information.
If you are under age 18 there are special requirements, see below.
We have II Areas and 6 Items which are required for your application to be complete, if you will be a new student from outside the US (additional requirements for new transfer students from a US college.) Item #6 requires Health Insurance to be active when you arrive in the US although the TB Clearance can be done on campus in our Health Office. We highly recommend that all of the required applications, forms, documents, etc. come to us in one complete packet.
I. Apply online at www.scc.losrios.edu and obtain your SCC Student ID# (Print confirmation page.) In the Los Rios Community College District Application for Enrollment, select SCC only. Save your SCC ID# & password. A US Social Security Number is not needed to complete the application.
II. SCC International Admission Packet must be completed and signed AND submitted with the required documents listed below to the International Student Center (ISC) as one complete application packet. The packet can be found off our main website or use this link: http://media.scc.losrios.edu/international/InternationalAdmissionPacket.pdf
- Evidence of English Proficiency (No Copies – Original Educational results must be received directly from test center/college) – only 1 is required to fulfill this requirement.
- Official TOEFL minimum Score: 45 (internet based), or 133 (computer based), or 450 (written). Go to: http://www.ets.org/toefl and use SCC institutional code is 4670
- PTE-Pearson Test of English www.pearsonpte.com (Score: 39)
- IELTS (Score: 6.0) http://www.ielts.org/
- STEP Eiken (Score: 2A) Japan http://stepeiken.org
- US College Transcripts showing proof of successful completion (with a letter grade) of a College English Writing Course.
- Financial Support equivalent to $19,318.00 U.S. dollars
- No Copies – Original Bank Letter with signature and/or seal must be received) – Note: Fees Subject to Change.
- Original Bank Letter must be dated within 6 months of instructional start date. Support covers non-resident tuition fees, mandatory student health insurance coverage, books and living expenses. Financial aid is not available to international students.
- If a sponsor is a US citizen or lives and works in the US download USCIS Affidavit of Support Form I-134 include their official bank verification. US Sponsors are also required to provide a copy of their last Tax Return and most recent Paycheck stub
- If sponsored by government or organization, send original copy of award on organizational letterhead that specifies in English the terms of the support, the U.S. dollar amounts to be covered for tuition, listing dates of coverage addressed to Sacramento City College before registration.)
- Full tuition payment is due within 10 days of registration or as stated on your e-Services account or you will be dropped from your courses.
- For payment plan, contact the SCC Business Office and make arrangements in advance.
- Official/Original High School Diploma/Transcript and/or College transcript(s) from US or Overseas are required.
- No Copies – Original Diploma/Transcripts with signature and/or seal must be received
- College Transcripts and/or Evaluations must be received in a sealed school envelope.
- ALL Non-English documents must be accompanied by translated copies. For information go to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) orAssociation of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE)
- If you are currently in your final year of high school and will graduate before the applicable semester begins, request a letter signed by your school Principal certifying the expected graduation month, date and year.
- Photograph: Passport size with your name printed on back.
- $50.00 Application Fee: This is a non-refundable fee in the form of a check, money order or cashier’s check payable from a United States bank and made payable to “Sacramento City College”. Print the student’s name on the face of the check including the SCC ID#, if available. Applications will not be processed without a payment receipt. Do not send cash.
- Proof of Health Insurance and Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance are be required upon your arrival to the US or a hold will be place on your student ID#. For more information go to the SCC Health Services websiteNote:
- We only have access to standard mail so we recommend utilizing local US contact to assist you with expedited mail services.
- You must give us written permission to allow others to be included in your application process.
Application Review Process
Your completed application will provide us with the documents and information needed to evaluate your request to attend SCC as an international student. After you submit all the required documents and information, it can take up to 2 to process your application for approval or denial.
If admitted you will receive:
- Acceptance Letter
* You can now Pay your I-901 Fee and make an appointment at your US Embassy for your F-1 Visa application interview
- SEVIS I-20
Documents will be mailed by standard US mail unless other arrangements are made by providing written permission for someone to pick them up directly from our office.
Important Information for Applicants
- Look up our degree majors so that you have the correct information to include on your ISC application.
- If you are under age 18 when school officially starts, you will need to submit a legal document called a Power of Attorney. A Power of Attorney for minor can be used by parents or guardians to allow a temporary caretaker to make certain decisions for their minor child over a period of time.
- The ISC accepts US transferring F-1 VISA students that are in Good Status only under their current school’s SEVIS I-20,
- B-1/B-2 Visa: Visitors arriving in the U.S. after April 12, 2002 have some restrictions to become a valid F-1 status within the U.S. Please check the following USCIS website or before traveling to the US, contact American Consulate “with the intent to study as a prospective student” before entering the U.S. We highly recommend contacting a U.S. Immigration Lawyer. Please contact the ISC and schedule an appointment to discuss possible options.
- SCC – ISC does not provide legal advice on obtaining or changing your F-1 VISA status, please check with appropriate legal/government agencies.
- To review SCC majors, courses, and transfer information go to our on-line college catalog.
- SCC does not evaluate foreign transcripts for course waivers or transfer credits. If you need evaluation services we recommend that you contact the National Association of Credential Evaluations Services (NACES), which is a membership organization for credential evaluation services. Their website provides a listing of member evaluation services. We cannot recommend an individual company for this service. Translated and/or evaluated transcripts must come in a sealed envelope from the company you used.
- International students cannot apply for Financial Aid in the U.S. and we currently do not have other resource to assist new or new transfer students with their financial requirements.
- F-1 VISA students have strict employment guidelines. Working in the US under a F-1 VISA is prohibited except under certain conditions. The ISC Counselor can discuss these options with you when requested.
- The Los Rios Community College District does not have dorms or housing. Please check local Sacramento rental or housing agencies for assistance.