Getting Started in Geron 301 Online Fall 2016
Welcome Enrolled Geron 301 Online Students!
I’m so glad you got in to this class! Here is what you need to know to get started on the road to success in my class (read all 4 steps listed below).
Step 1: Orientation Video and Syllabus/Calendar
Mandatory ORIENTATION VIDEO for the Online Geron 301 Course
This mandatory, 23 minute, orientation video must be completed (watched) by the first day of classes (8/22/16), even if you have successfully taken an online class before. The orientation video will ask you to do several things in D2L (Desire 2 Learn). Keep in mind, you will not have access to D2L until the week before class begins (Aug 15th they allow students into D2L) so you won’t be able to do all of the items asked of you in the video until that date!
- To FIND the Mandatory Orientation Video, scroll down to the Orientation section on this page.
Alternate methods: copy and paste this web address if the link to the orientation video didn’t work: https://www.3cmediasolutions.org/privid/43579?key=fc30b533ae04f4016f7f14027da35b79bd039b22
- SYLLABUS & CALENDAR for the Geron 301 Online Classes
Please print a hard copy of the Geron 301 Online Class Syllabus and Calendar http://www.scc.losrios.edu/jessicacoppola/documents/f14-geron301.pdf
You will refer to this while you watch the Orientation Video.
- DUE DATE: First Friday of Week 1 (8/26/2016).
If you do not complete the tasks in the orientation video by the first Friday of the semester you may be dropped from the course.
Step 2: OPTIONAL In-Person MEET and GREET for FALL 2016:
Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 from 5-6pm
Learning Resource Center, LRC 141
Sacramento City College, Main Campus
- This OPTIONAL meet and greet is available for those who wish to “connect” in person, ask questions about the orientation video or just feel more comfortable having met me in person! Please be sure you have already viewed the mandatory orientation video BEFORE attending the optional in-person meet and greet.
Step 3: Required TEXTBOOK
As mentioned in the orientation video above, you will ABSOLUTELY need the Textbook for this class. I don’t care where you get it or how you get it (legally of course) but get it!
Textbook Title: Biology of Aging
Author: Roger McDonald
ISBN 10: 0815342136
- I went to www.amazon.com and entered Biology of Aging Roger McDonald and I found that you can rent the book for only $12 or you can buy it used for $45. In the past students have used Chegg and other textbook rental places successfully as well. I will provide Chapter 1 to you for free (as a pdf) so you can have a bit more time while your book ships.
- Our SCC bookstore has it for $82 used and $110 new.
Step 4: Make sure you know what you’re getting into!
Online Classes are not any “harder” than traditional face to face classes but they require you to be on time and on track for the whole semester! I’ll be reminding about what is coming but if you don’t login to D2L, you won’t even see my reminders! Make sure you know what you are getting into and that you’re ready to stay on top of things so you can earn the grade you want!
Are online classes right for me??? If you are wondering that, please click here: Distance Education Page. Also consider going through these “readiness modules” that get you ready to take an online course! Readiness