This course will explore nutrition and fitness with emphasis on the relationship between nutrition, physical activity, lifelong fitness, and health. Credit will be awarded for NUTRI 302 or KINES 418 but not both.
NUTRI 302 or KINES 418 are the same class, just cross-referenced.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- describe the basic principles of nutrition.
- discuss the role of nutrients in the body, especially in regard to energy production and physical performance.
- describe effectiveness and safety concerns of various nutritional supplements.
- demonstrate an understanding of the prevalence of disordered eating in male and female athletes and in the general populations.
- analyze diets to determine adequate nutrient intake.
- discuss the role that fluid plays in body temperature regulation during exercise and on performance and health.
- describe and measure the five components of fitness.
- demonstrate an understanding of body composition and body weight.