Welcome Enrolled Students!!! I’m so glad you got in to this class!
This course will be a broad examination of the biological principles that cause aging and age-related disease. Concepts covered in this course include: how the rate of biological aging is measured, what mechanisms underlie cellular aging, genetic pathways that affect longevity in various organisms, and consideration of the implications of modulating the rate of aging and longevity. This course is intended for undergraduate students in a variety of majors.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- describe the basic concepts in the biology of aging.
- evaluate the tools and techniques available for measuring biological aging.
- describe cellular aging and how that differs from organismal aging.
- demonstrate an understanding of what factors influence human longevity and which interventions impact lifespan.
- analyze the diseases of aging and their most common causes.
- discuss possibilities for the future of bio gerontology and aging.