Child, Family, School, Community: Socialization and Support
ECE 314 or SOC 312 (same course)
SYLLABUS and COURSE INFORMATION
SYLLABUS and COURSE INFORMATION:
- Tentative S’16 COURSE SYLLABUS
- CFC Course Information PowerPoint
- D2L- Orientation Information PowerPoint
Mandatory orientation: Click on the ORIENTATIONS link for the meeting dates and times.
- You are welcome to attend ANY of my orientations.
- Be sure to read the course syllabus and complete the D2L Free Sample Class prior to our orientation.
In addition to the course orientation the students will complete the assigned reading, activities, exams, and participate online using Desire-2-Learn (D2L).
WEEK 1 ASSIGNMENTS
Week 1 Assignments:
- Your first assignment is to update your City College Gmail (and/or forward your City College Gmail to an account you use regularly)
- Take our CFC Class Orientation Quiz.
- Complete the D2L Free Sample Class and take it’s Final Exam.
- Submit the D2L Sample Class- Certificate of Completion to our HSN Class Dropbox, after it is emailed to you.
- READ CHAPTER 1
- ARTICLE TO READ
Parenting Your Unique Child: Goodness of Fit and How Can You Create a Good Fit?
Conception to Birth
What We Learn Before We’re Born
The Social Brain & It’s Super Powers
Agents of Socialization
SOC 101: Socialization
Ecology of the Child: Children’s Mental Health
Creating Secure Infant Attachment
(1.) Socialization & Attachment Essay
Based on this week’s assignments, readings, and videos, write an essay addressing the following questions:
- Define socialization and explain how it relates to child development.
- Define intentional and unintentional socialization.
- Explain the indicators of well-being for children.
- Describe the three basic temperamental patterns of babies.
- Explain how goodness-of-fit is vital to healthy attachment between parents and children. (Consider parental responsiveness, lifestyle adjustments, etc…)
- Format of the essay? 2 pages (minimum). Double-spaced is fine. At the top of page 1 type your name plus the name of the assignment.
Cite your sources. Separate citation pages and title pages are not necessary.
Remember to save your paper as an rtf, doc or docx file before submitting it to the Dropbox.
(2.) Article Review Essay
Find an Article About An Agency Serving Children and Families in Your Community
- Look for a current article (within the last 6 months) about a local agency that serves children and families.
- Research newspapers, magazines, or the internet. Try to find something that relates to the Sacramento area.
- Organize your thoughts using the supplied article review form, then write your essay (not question/answer).
Be sure to include the following source citation information (at the beginning of of your article review):
Author’s last name, first name
Date of article
Media Source (Name of Magazine, Newspaper, Internet, etc.)
If a website:
Sponsor of website
Date web site was last updated
Source Citation Example:
Herndon, Michael K., and Joan B. Hirt. “Black Students and Their Families: What Leads to Success in College.” Journal of Black Studies 34.4 (2013): 489-513. JSTOR. Web. 15 Feb. 2015.
Format of the essay?
2 pages (minimum). Double-spaced is fine. At the top of page 1 type your name plus the name of the assignment.
Cite your sources. Separate citation pages and title pages are not necessary. Use “quotation marks” or ‘semi-quotes’ if you are “quoting” or ‘paraphrasing’ what someone said.
Remember to save your paper as an rtf, doc or docx file before uploading it to the Dropbox.
- DISCUSSION BOARD
Introduce Yourself to (post), and Greet Your Classmates (reply)
- REVIEW CHAPTER 1
Definition of Terms
Ecology of the Child Chapter Quiz