The Visual Journalism certificate provides students the opportunity to fully prepare themselves for entry-level positions as multimedia photographers in the journalism field. Students will complete courses in both the Journalism and Photography programs with an emphasis on building a multimedia journalistic portfolio.
Students planning to prepare for a four-year degree in Photography should consult the lower division requirements of the university to which they plan to transfer.
PHOTO 302 Beginning Digital Photography 3
PHOTO 312 Intermediate Digital Photography 3
PHOTO 280 Portfolio Development I (2 – 4)
PHOTO 350 Photojournalism 3
or JOUR 360 Photojournalism (3)
JOUR 364 Multimedia Capture I 3
or PHOTO 380 Multimedia Capture I (3)
JOUR 300 Newswriting and Reporting 3
JOUR 310 Mass Media and Society 3
JOUR 430 Online Multimedia Production I (3)
JOUR 431 Online Multimedia Production II (3)
Total Units: 26 – 28
Recommended High School Preparation:
Courses in art, English, journalism, basic photography, graphic arts.
In addition to the normal student expenses (for textbooks, personal equipment, and supplies) digital print materials fees may be required. These fees may vary each semester. If these fees create a financial burden, students should consult the Financial Aid Office for possible assistance.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- describe technical and aesthetic qualities of successful photojournalistic photographs.
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of current computer software and digital imaging skills as they apply to photojournalism.
- produce photographs using various digital camera methods.
- create a portfolio and related materials for employment.
- demonstrate an understanding of and proficiency in multimedia storytelling.
- analyze content of newspapers, magazines, and online media.
- produce news and feature photographs/multimedia content for publication in a newspaper, magazine, or online publication.
- apply principles of audience and journalistic ethics to his or her photography/multimedia content, especially as they relate to gender, ethnicities, and culture.
- demonstrate understanding of the fundamentals of mass media theories, concepts, and practices as they relate to gender, ethnicities, and cultural constructs.
- demonstrate understanding of journalistic writing style and reporting.
Certificate of Achievement
A Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.