This program will give students the opportunity to take a variety of courses that will prepare them for national exams needed for employment in the health and fitness industry by providing them with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to be successful in the field. It also offers courses that can be used for continuing education in the field of fitness.
This fitness instructor certification program is designed to provide students professional development opportunities as well as to prepare them to pass the exams necessary to become fitness professionals. It will allow students the opportunity to seek entry level positions as personal trainers, group exercise instructors, and strength and conditioning instructors or to seek employment at a fitness center or health club.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate and apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology in order to develop and instruct safe and effective exercise programs.
- gain an understanding of the importance of comprehensive health screenings prior to initiating exercise programs for individuals.
- demonstrate effective communication and instructional methodology in various exercise settings, which includes an understanding of motivational techniques that might assist with performance and personal goals.
- comprehend a personal trainer’s scope of practice, professional responsibilities, and liability.
- evaluate the training environment for safety to prevent athletic injuries.
- integrate the principles of strength training into an individualized training regime.
- demonstrate an understanding of the fitness needs for special populations.
- evaluate the various psychological skills and techniques that will enhance success.
- demonstrate knowledge of promoting, marketing, and programming fitness and health centers.
- describe and analyze the basic principles of nutrition, which includes discussing the role of nutrients in the body in regard to nutrient intake, energy production and physical performance, and injuries and training.
- investigate development of an infrastructure supporting physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of all courses in the required program with grades of “C” or better.