The SQR3 method is an effective way to read dense material like an assigned chapter in a text.
- Survey title, headings, sub-headings, images, and the first and last sentence of each paragraph.
- Question what you are reading: who? when? what? where? and why?
- Read the entire chapter, taking notes as you read.
- Recite what the chapter was about.
- Review by reading the chapter again.
The OK5R is a similar reading strategy:
- Key ideas
Muscle Reading is another effective way to read dense material.
Before you read
While you read
After you read
- Review again
Tips for reading
- Keep a dictionary nearby as you read.
- Read as much as possible, including reading for pleasure.