The Learning Skills & Tutoring Center (LSTC) employs Sacramento City College students as peer tutors to conduct one-on-one and small, informal group tutoring in a variety of subjects offered at the college.
Peer tutors do the following:
* Assist student in reviewing and clarifying information covered in class
* Assist students in improving their study skills for the subjects tutored
* Assist students in achieving subject mastery
The LSTC is looking for applicants who meet the following requirements:
* Are students in good standing with the college
* Have an overall GPA of 2.0
* Have passed the courses they wish to tutor with grades of “A” or “B”
* Have good, informal English speaking skills
* Is patient with others and likes helping people
* Demonstrates sensitivity toward and respect for diverse backgrounds of other students
* Can obtain faculty recommendations for the courses they wish to tutor
In addition, applicants who are hired must take a one-unit tutor training course, unless they have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree or completed formal tutor training in the past, and must be available periodically for additional in-service training.
Peer tutors earn $8.25 hourly; tutors must be enrolled in at least 6 units at SCC in order to be paid for their tutoring services.
For further information, contact the LSTC coordinator