This program is designed to prepare students for free-lance employment in song-publishing, submission of songs to major recording artists, composition of jingles for advertising agencies, arranging music for schools and churches, and song demo production using MIDI techniques.
This program is for the student who is interested in being a freelance songwriter and arranger for commercial groups, advertising, schools, and churches.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- compose music and words for songs found in contemporary commercial styles.
- create arrangements of songs for small ensembles.
- record basic audio and MIDI tracks for demo purposes.
- demonstrate basic knowledge concerning music contracts, copyrights, and royalties.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of contemporary music markets.
Associate in Arts Degree
The Commercial Music, Songwriting/Arranging Emphasis Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.