Online courses are taught using the Los Rios e-Learning system, commonly known as Desire2Learn (or D2L).
- Online courses are taught by the same highly qualified Sacramento City College faculty who teach on-campus courses.
- Online coursework can be completed at the time of day most convenient for the student, with the instructor requiring regular deadlines for assignments and class participation.
- SCC instructors provide regular effective contact with each student throughout the term of an online course.
- Although the coursework is conducted online, an in-person course orientation may be required at the beginning of the semester (some faculty provide online orientations; see the SCC course schedule for details) and some courses require in-person exams.
- In some courses, on-site exams may be held on campus at the discretion of the instructor and the department. Information including dates, times, and locations will be listed in the SCC online class schedule prior to registration.
- If you are considering enrolling in an online class, please be sure to perform a system check to make sure your computer and software meet the minimum requirements.
A Mandatory Orientation Session may include information on the following:
- course policies and assignments as presented in the course syllabus
- a course outline
- the textbook
- a CD-ROM
- a Study Guide
- a textbook web site
- a class web site
- instructor contact information
Information about whether there will be a mandatory on-site orientation or required on-site examinations for a particular course is typically provided in the online class schedule or on the instructor’s website
Thinking about enrolling in an online class?
You’ll want to make sure you have access to the Desire2Learn Sample Class, which will take you through how to navigate and use many of the common features in D2L.
- Log in to http://d2l.losrios.edu using your student ID number and your Los Rios password.
- Click on the link titled “Self Registration” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Here you can enroll yourself in the D2L Sample Class.
- In about 30 minutes or less, you will have completed the course and familiarized yourself with the D2L learning environment.
For information about a particular course, please contact the course instructor.