- Department Co-chair: Dr. Elizabeth Forrester
- Department Co-chair: Jesse Womack
This program is intended to prepare students for transfer into baccalaureate philosophy programs at the California State University. It provides essential lower division work and offers a broad selection of elective courses. It also offers the opportunity to develop general skills, such as critical thinking, comprehending challenging reading materials, and producing clear and precise argumentative writing, which are useful in a broad range of endeavors.
The Associate Degree for Transfer student completion requirements (as stated in SB1440 law):
(1) Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education –Breadth Requirements.
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
ADTs also require that students must earn a C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- comprehend texts on both literal and inferential levels.
- articulate ideas and arguments in a clear and precise manner.
- defend her own views with careful and compelling reasoning.
- express the perspectives and arguments of others in an accurate and nuanced manner.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in Philosophy for Transfer (AA-T) degree may
be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with
a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis
described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental
General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State
University General Education-Breadth Requirements.