Sacramento City College
Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Committee
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Chair: Maria Regalado
Present: Dianne Bennett, Marybeth Buechner, Jarom Burbano, Stuart Graybill, Norman Lorenz, Liam McDaid, Nicholas Miller, Jonathan Zeh
Guests: Kimberlee Beyrer and Elaine Ader
- It was announced that the ISLO revision proposal was approved by the Academic Senate on 3/18/14.
- Before the proposal to revise the SCC Institutional Student Learning Outcomes (ISLOs), the ISLOs were a reflection of the areas covered in the SCC General Education Student Learning Outcomes (GELOs).
- Since students completing certificates do not take the GE courses, it was thought that the ISLOs should be modified to allow them to apply to both students completing degrees and students completing certificates. The current GE SLOs will remain as the expected learning outcomes for students completing the GE patterns.
- With the revisions in place, students completing degrees will have completed the ISLOs as part of the General Education courses (see GELOs). Students completing certificates will have completed the ISLOs as a part of their required courses for the certificate.
- The revised Institutional Student Learning Outcomes and the General Education Student Learning Outcomes can be found on the new Student Learning Outcomes website.
2. Discussion Items
- Presentation of a modified course student learning outcomes assessment report by guest Kimberlee Beyrer – A comprehensive course student learning outcomes assessment report that has been modified for use by student services was demonstrated by Kimberlee. She modified the course SLO assessment report template to report assessment of a student services orientation program. Kimberlee was asked by the committee to send a copy of her Power Point presentation to all committee members in order for the committee to use her presentation as a resource for future student services SLO assessment reports. The resource will be posted on the new Student Learning Outcomes website.
- SLO assessment reporting computer program discussion facilitated by Jarom Burbano and guest Elaine Ader
- A discussion of the desired functions of a new SLO assessment reporting computer program was continued.
- In particular, the mapping of course/student services SLO assessments to program SLO assessments then to general education and institutional SLO assessments was further discussed.
- Questions remaining which will be further discussed by a smaller workgroup in a more concentrated setting:
- Whether one single SLO assessment reporter for each department will be entering pre-calculated data gathered from each instructor for each course SLO assessed or whether each instructor will be entering their own data for their own courses.
- If one single SLO reporter will be entering the data, will that reporter develop an evaluation rating offline for all sections of a course being assessed?
- If each instructor will be entering the data for their own sections of a course, how is a summary assessment for each SLO going to be calculated?
- For mapping course SLO assessment results to ProLO assessment results, the issue to be discussed is the mapping of multiple course SLO assessment results to multiple ProLOs.
- Multiple courses often assess the same program learning outcome. How will this be entered in the computer program?
- Multiple courses often assess multiple program learning outcomes. How will this be entered in the program?
- One course often assesses multiple program learning outcomes. How will this be entered in the program?
Upcoming SLOAC Meetings and SLO FLEX Activities:
- SLOAC meeting: April 10th from 1-2. Location: BUS 107
- SLOAC meeting: April 24th from 12-1. Location: RHS 173
- SLOAC meeting: May 8th from 1-2. Location: BUS 107
Future Agenda Items:
- Updates on Program SLO reporting issues
- Accreditation updates
- Plan for Fall 2014 Flex activities
- SLO assessment reporting computer program progress
- Presentation of a course-embedded approach to ProLO assessment reporting: TBA
- SLO website updates
- Continued plan of support for SLO assessment reporting using Accreditation Standards
- Other items?
To place items on future agendas, email Maria Regalado at firstname.lastname@example.org.