Social Sciences Program Contacts
- Department Chairperson: Rosamaria Tanghetti
- Counseling Liaison: Diane Belair
Social Sciences Program Links
The Social Science program is designed to give students the opportunity to explore a variety of disciplines. The flexibility of this program allows students to pursue their own unique intellectual interests and to cultivate analytical skills appropriate for a broad range of academic fields and professional occupations. Only certain courses in the SCC Social Science major may apply toward the Social Science major at other four-year institutions, including California State University, Sacramento. For students intending to transfer to a specific college or university, consult the appropriate sections of that institution’s catalog for admissions, general education, and major requirements. Consultation with a Sacramento City College Counselor is advised.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- research and analyze topics from interdisciplinary perspectives.
- apply effective critical thinking skills.
- evaluate data, draw reasonable conclusions, and apply these conclusions to personal, social and political problems.
- recognize the various ways in which distinctions based on race, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, and sexual orientation operate within human communities.
Associate in Arts Degree (AA)
The Associate in Arts Degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus the general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.