Intercultural Studies Program Contacts
- Program Contact: Charles Whipple
- Counseling Liaison: Shannon Gilley
Intercultural Studies Program Links
The Intercultural Studies Associate of Arts degree prepares students for careers in which they will interact with people from a variety of cultural backgrounds. The Intercultural Studies major is an interdisciplinary major drawing from coursework in sociology, history, humanities, geography, anthropology, and a foreign language.
International business, international marketing, international affairs, import-export trade, teacher, social work, international affairs, public relations, international law, law enforcement, lobbyist.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- explain the ways in which culture and knowledge interconnect with the past, present and future of human society.
- integrate content knowledge into critical thinking skills around issues of culture, cultural variation, and intercultural interactions, conflicts and collaborations.
- demonstrate competence in intercultural communication skills essential to success in a globalized and multicultural workplace
- demonstrate an understanding of the role of culture, geography, and history in diverse human societies and social contexts, both international and domestic.
- communicate with at least basic proficiency in a foreign language, including American Sign Language.
- demonstrate the ability to apply social science principles, humanities content knowledge and intercultural communication skills in the workplace.
Associate in Arts Degree (AA)
The Associate in Arts degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.