The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with #
- 10 Assessment Design Tips for Increasing Online Student Retention, Satisfaction & Learning03/2014Articles and PublicationsHow much time do we put into the design of the assessment plans in our online courses? Is most of that time focused upon summative graded assignments that factor into the course grade? Or, do they also include opportunity for practice and informal feedback?
- 10 Recommendations for Improving Group Work09/2014Articles and Publications...below is a set of suggestions for improving group projects. A list in the article referenced below provided a starting place for these recommendations.
- 100th Anniversary Planning Kickoff11/2014Flex/PD - FallNovember 19, 2015. The event will include a short presentation on some institutional ideas already being worked on, and we will show how you can help make the year-long celebration a rousing success.
- 10th Annual Celebration of Excellence & Achievement for Students of African Descent04/2015Flex/PD - SpringThis Celebration of Excellence & Achievement ceremony recognizes students who are receiving degrees, certificates, and/or transferring to a 4-year university.
- 14-Year-Old Proves U.S. Can Save $370 Million by Changing Fonts04/2014Articles and PublicationsChanging the standard typeface used by federal and state governments could save the United States roughly $370 million a year in ink costs, according to a peer-reviewed study by Suvir Mirchandani.
- 2014 Student Success Act Brochure04/2014Articles and PublicationsThis comprehensive plan, known as the Student Success Initiative, focuses on our core missions of workforce preparation, remediation, transfer to four-year colleges and universities, and degree and certificate completion.
- 3 Things Academic Leaders Believe About Online Education02/2015Articles and PublicationsThe Babson Survey Research Group released its annual online-education survey on Thursday. The Babson surveyors, Jeffrey Seaman and I. Elaine Allen, have been tracking online higher education since 2002, soliciting responses from chief academic officers at thousands of institutions.
- 3CMeNow – Video Conferencing - Fall 2014 Flex - CANCELED05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Jory Hadsell. From your smartphone or mobile tablet, you can attend a meeting and view video and slide presentations. Learn more about this new, free tool for all faculty and staff. THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELED.
- 4 Key Questions Experts Are Asking About Obama’s College-Ratings Plan09/2014Articles and PublicationsWill the right data be used? Is the plan proceeding too quickly? At a hearing, administrators and researchers express concerns.
- 4th Annual Los Rios Community College District Employee Health Fair09/2014Flex/PD - FallJoin us at this year’s Los Rios Community College District Faculty & Staff Health & Benefits Fair. The event will include information about the Living Healthy Los Rios Wellness Program, health insurance, health screenings, nutrition, fitness, financial health and retirement.
- 5 Reasons To Allow Digital Devices In Your Classroom12/2014Articles and PublicationsAn argument for allowing students to use laptops and other electronic devices in class.
- 7 Assessment Challenges of Moving Your Course Online (and a Dozen + Solutions)02/2014Articles and PublicationsResearcher Leslie Layne wondered whether students and teachers define the term "effectiveness" similarly. If they don’t, Layne writes that understanding the differences “is crucial to faculty and administrators when interpreting student survey results.”
- 7th Annual SCC Health Fair04/2014Face-to-Face Event (Non-Flex/PD)April 24, 2014. All Day. SCC Quad. 7th Annual SCC health fair. Many exhibits including the human sexuality service learning class will be in the quad by city cafe.
- 8th Annual SCC EarthWeek04/2014Flex/PD - SpringPlease join us at the 8th Annual SCC EarthWeek from 10:00-3:00 on Tuesday, April 22 and Wednesday, April 23 in the Quad. There will be more than thirty booths presenting information and demonstrations from non-profit, government, private-sector, and SCC campus representatives.
- “Hard Times” and Higher Education08/2014Articles and PublicationsSociologists presented numerous studies on various ways that policies and practices in American higher education hinder the success of low-income students. Several of the papers suggested that key inequities are not that hard to find, but don't necessarily attract attention.
- “She Didn’t Teach. We Had to Learn it Ourselves.”09/2014Articles and Publications“This teacher should not be paid. We had to teach ourselves in this course.” I remember another faculty member telling me about similar feedback, which was followed later with a comment about how the course “really made me think.”