The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with #
- 10 Assessment Design Tips for Increasing Online Student Retention, Satisfaction & Learning03/2014Articles and PublicationsHow much time do we put into the design of the assessment plans in our online courses? Is most of that time focused upon summative graded assignments that factor into the course grade? Or, do they also include opportunity for practice and informal feedback?
- 10 Key Shifts in Higher Education03/2016Articles and PublicationsIn a year of turmoil ? marked by campus protests, free-speech controversies, scandals involving academic research, questions about the value of a degree, and more ? higher education continues to be on the defensive. Public scrutiny and the social-media environment mean college leaders must be prepared to respond to critics on and off campus, at any time. To help you stay ahead of the curve, we identify 10 national trends, along with case studies, expert commentary, and resources that will enable you to lead effectively in 2016.
- 10 Recommendations for Improving Group Work09/2014Articles and Publications...below is a set of suggestions for improving group projects. A list in the article referenced below provided a starting place for these recommendations.
- 10 Tips for Creating Effective Instructional Videos04/2017Articles and PublicationsCreate effective instructional videos for distance education, flipped classrooms, and other instructional formats.
- 100th Anniversary Planning Kickoff11/2014Flex/PD - FallNovember 19, 2015. The event will include a short presentation on some institutional ideas already being worked on, and we will show how you can help make the year-long celebration a rousing success.
- 10th Annual Celebration of Excellence & Achievement for Students of African Descent04/2015Flex/PD - SpringThis Celebration of Excellence & Achievement ceremony recognizes students who are receiving degrees, certificates, and/or transferring to a 4-year university.
- 2014 Student Success Act Brochure04/2014Articles and PublicationsThis comprehensive plan, known as the Student Success Initiative, focuses on our core missions of workforce preparation, remediation, transfer to four-year colleges and universities, and degree and certificate completion.
- 2015 Education and Employment Forum01/2016Flex/PD - FallPlease join us in celebrating Employment of People with Disabilities month. At 79% people with disabilities have the highest rate of unemployment or underemployment.
- 3 Key Findings About College Admissions05/2015Articles and PublicationsThose are a few of the challenges described in a new report from the National Association for College Admission Counseling, known as NACAC. The report suggests that enrollment leaders must be "nimble and fluid," says Jeff Fuller, director of student recruitment at the University of Houston: "Today it’s about being flexible.
- 3CMeNow – Video Conferencing - Fall 2014 Flex - CANCELED05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Jory Hadsell. From your smartphone or mobile tablet, you can attend a meeting and view video and slide presentations. Learn more about this new, free tool for all faculty and staff. THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELED.
- 5 Meditative Chair Exercises Guaranteed to Promote Work Productivity08/2016Articles and PublicationsTaking regular breaks through out your day to stretch or move around not only moves the blood around your body, it also provides your brain with a chance to recharge, so you can return to work more focused and productive.
- 5 Reasons To Allow Digital Devices In Your Classroom12/2014Articles and PublicationsAn argument for allowing students to use laptops and other electronic devices in class.
- 7 Assessment Challenges of Moving Your Course Online (and a Dozen + Solutions)02/2014Articles and PublicationsResearcher Leslie Layne wondered whether students and teachers define the term "effectiveness" similarly. If they don’t, Layne writes that understanding the differences “is crucial to faculty and administrators when interpreting student survey results.”
- 7th Annual SCC Health Fair04/2014Face-to-Face Event (Non-Flex/PD)April 24, 2014. All Day. SCC Quad. 7th Annual SCC health fair. Many exhibits including the human sexuality service learning class will be in the quad by city cafe.
- 8 Ways to Read ‘Leading Change’ as a Higher Ed Book05/2016Articles and PublicationsSeeing academic transformation through a learning / edtech lens.
- 8th Annual SCC EarthWeek04/2014Flex/PD - SpringPlease join us at the 8th Annual SCC EarthWeek from 10:00-3:00 on Tuesday, April 22 and Wednesday, April 23 in the Quad. There will be more than thirty booths presenting information and demonstrations from non-profit, government, private-sector, and SCC campus representatives.
- ‘This Case Shouldn’t Be Here Again’: Activists Outside the Supreme Court on ‘Fisher’ and Race01/2016Articles and PublicationsAs the justices heard oral arguments on race-conscious admissions, protesters discussed links between college access and the demonstrations over racial climate that have recently roiled campuses.
- ‘‘#Literate Lives Matter’’: Black Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening in the 21st Century08/2016Articles and PublicationsLiteracy for African Americans has never been merely about skill development and text comprehension. Its primary purposes and foci have been liberation, empowerment, and self-determination.