The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with B
- Back to School by Mike Rose (1/30/14)02/2014Flex/PD - SpringOur round table discussion will focus on Rose’s interpretations and our role in community college in promoting student success
- Back to School by Mike Rose (12/12/13)03/2014Flex/PD - FallOur last discussion will focus on the recent publication by Mike Rose, “Back To School, Why Everyone Deserves a Second Chance at Education”, An Argument for Democratizing Knowledge in America.
- Beats, Rhymes and Classroom Life: Programming, Cultural Capital, and Student Engagement (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. This workshop will highlight a Hip-Hop/Education event that has occurred annually @ SCC since Fall 2013, called Rock the School Bells, which used Hip-Hop as conduit to connect students to the ideas of being successful in a higher education setting. Also, as a result of attending a Hip-Hop Think Tank at Columbia University, the facilitators will explore Hip-Hop educational practices that educators/teaching artists around the globe have been implementing to engage students.
- Benefits of Free10/2014Articles and PublicationsMomentum and criticism build for tuition-free community college plans, but even some skeptics say scholarships in Tennessee and Chicago could bring in more low-income students.
- Beyond the Content: Creating Communities of Practice to Foster Adult Learning (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. As faculty we design courses for content learning, by building communities of practice we enhance the learning environment and foster critical thinking. This 2-hour workshop will offer an overview of two theoretical models that support content learning through personal and community development.
- Black and Not Feeling Welcome12/2014Articles and PublicationsBack-to-back essays by two Vassar professors, one of them a former dean, renew a debate about treatment of minority faculty members.
- Black Man in the Lab11/2014Articles and PublicationsWhy do so few black men earn STEM degrees? The reasons, and the remedies, go beyond numbers. - See more at: http://m.chronicle.com/article/Black-Man-in-the-Lab/149565/?cid=gs&utm_source=gs&utm_medium=en#sthash.11g5KmXi.dpuf
- Book Share Round Table - "Back To School"03/2014Flex/PD - SpringApril 3, 2014: 12-1pm. LRC 308 “Back To School, Why Everyone Deserves a Second Chance at Education”, An Argument for Democratizing Knowledge in America, By Mike Rose
- Breast Cancer Awareness Walk - Spring 201503/2015Flex/PD - SpringCome walk with us! The SCC Cultural Awareness Center invites everyone to join President Kathryn Jeffery and LRCCD Trustee Pamela Haynes for a Breast Cancer Awareness Walk, a Woman's History Month event.
- Brown Bag with Brian10/2014Flex/PD - FallNov. 3, 2014. 12:00pm-1:00pm. All faculty, staff and students are invited to join Chancellor Brian King for an informal conversation. Please don’t miss this opportunity to engage with our chancellor. You are welcome to bring your own lunch. Lemonade, iced tea and cookies will be provided. If you would like to email any questions or comments prior to the event, please send them to: email@example.com.
- BSI Update03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 6, 2014. Attending this workshop will update you on the progress of the Basic Skills Initiative here at Sacramento City College, as well as what's happening in our state.
- Building Community and Creating Relevance in the Online Classroom09/2014Articles and PublicationsRemember feeling nervous before starting your first day on the job? You may have experienced butterflies in your stomach, had questions about expectations, or concerns about learning the rules and finding information. Students feel the same way with a new professor, regardless if the class is face-to-face or online. With technology, you can reduce new-class jitters and get your students on track for success.
- Building Online Communities with Social Media02/2015Flex/PD - SpringThis class will provide you with a robust toolkit of tips, learning activities, and creative uses of emerging technologies to integrate into your courses.