The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with E
- Education and Consumerism: Using Students’ Assumptions to Challenge Their Thinking05/2014Articles and PublicationsRather than fight this flawed consumer paradigm mentality, I present the consumer model during one of our first class sessions and engage students.
- Education and Employment for People with Disabilities-forum Thursday noon PAC 10410/2014Flex/PD - FallOctober 23, 2014. 12:00pm - 1:00pm. In honor of Employment of People with Disabilities month, we are holding our annual fall forum which we call Education and Employment for People with Disabilities. At noon this Thursday we will have a panel of students and former students who will discuss their experiences in internships and getting jobs.
- Effective Ways to Structure Discussion01/2015Articles and PublicationsThe use of online discussion in both blended and fully online courses has made clear that those exchanges are more productive if they are structured, if there’s a protocol that guides the interaction. This kind of structure is more important in the online environment because those discussions are usually asynchronous and minus all the nonverbal cues that facilitate face-to-face exchanges. But I’m wondering if more structure might benefit our in-class discussions as well. Students struggle with academic discourse. They have conversations (or is it chats?) with each other, but not discussions like those we aspire to have in our courses. And although students understand there’s a difference between the two, they don’t always know exactly how they’re supposed to talk about academic content when discussing it with teachers and classmates. Would providing more structure provide that clarity and make the value of discussions more obvious to students?
- Embracing Advancement: Fundraising03/2014Articles and PublicationsHow to build a strong internal fundraising machine.
- Embracing the Creative Side of Teaching03/2014Articles and PublicationsThe longer I teach, the more I see teaching as a highly creative endeavor. Initially, a more mechanical view prevailed for me. In my earlier years as a teacher, I undertook a more formula-like approach by following a behaviorist stance of stimulus-response. If I do X, then my students would do Y, I reasoned. Of course, teaching is never that simple.
- Emergency Preparedness Workshop03/2014Flex/PD - SpringFeb. 28, 2014. Presented Captain Day and Sergeant Lampano, SCC Police.
- Employee Assistance Program03/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Learn how you can get free access to a thirty-minute session with an attorney. • Get help finding daycare. • Dealing with elder care issues • Answer concerns about retirement
- Ending the Blockade is Gaza and Sexual Harassment in the Millitary03/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Colonel Ann Wright speaks about the experiences of women in the military, and her activism for rights for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
- Equity Training for the Hiring process (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. Two session: 9:00am - 11:00am and 3:00pm - 5:00pm. This two-hour training workshop prepares equity representatives to serve on hiring committees for all constituency groups. The training additionally serves as a forum for input from the campus community on hiring processes and how they can be improved.
- Equity Training for the Hiring Process - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Julia Jolly. This two-hour training workshop prepares equity representatives to serve on hiring committees for all constituency groups. The training additionally serves as a forum for input from the campus community on hiring processes and how they can be improved.
- ESTEEM Program Training (Flex Thursday)01/2015Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. This session is designed to provide training for those participating in the Essential Support Teams for English, ESL, and Math Program (ESTEEM). Topics covered will be guidelines and information along with time for faculty, classified, and student tutor teams to coordinate schedules and plan for the semester.
- Evaluating ESL Center Materials (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. The ESL Department full-time faculty and adjunct faculty volunteers will evaluate older material in the ESL lab, such as audio cassettes, VHS tapes, textbooks, novels, and hard copy grammar and writing lessons. Obsolete and unneeded material will be removed, and new textbooks and DVDs will be considered for adoption.
- Evaluation 101: Assessment and Evaluation to Attain Student Success (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. In working to achieve student learning outcomes and increase graduation and retention rates, the number of moving pieces can be overwhelming. Program evaluation offers a set of tools that can help us measure and assess success on multiple levels. This interactive workshop will provide content and hands-on practice for conducting large or small scale evaluations. We’ll consider how to use data and evidence to assess outcomes of a course, program, service, or technology.
- Examining Your Multiple-Choice Questions03/2014Articles and PublicationsAs class sizes have grown and the demands on teacher time expanded, multiple-choice questions have become the favorite testing tool in higher education.
- Expanding the Definition of a Flipped Learning Environment03/2014Articles and PublicationsThe term flipped classroom has become a hot topic in higher education. Ideas about and opinions about flipped learning environments vary.
- Experimenting with Competency01/2015Articles and PublicationsThe Education Department will loosen financial-aid rules for 40-plus colleges as they experiment with competency-based education and prior learning assessment.
- Exploring the Link Between SCC Evidence and Accreditation09/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Presented by Adrian Chevraux-FitzHugh and Sarah Eyanson, defining the term "evidence" and put it into perspective with respect to accreditation.
- Exploring the Link Between SCC Evidence and Accreditation (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. SCC is gearing up to write the Self-Study for our next accreditation visit. Many of you will hear that we are looking for “evidence” to support our evaluation of our work here at the college. We thought that it might be useful to define that term “evidence” and put it into perspective with respect to accreditation. This flex activity will be facilitated by the PRIE committee.
- Exploring the Link between SCC Evidence and Accreditation - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Adrian Chevraux FitzHugh & Members of PRIE Committee. SCC is gearing up to write the Self-Evaluation for our next accreditation visit. We thought that it might be useful to define that term "evidence" and put it into perspective with respect to accreditation.