The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with H
- Habits of Mind: Tools for Student Success03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. "How can we encourage our students to use the habits of mind [having a disposition toward intelligent behavior when confronted with problems that have no obvious solution]that lead to effective learning?" and "How can we tell if they are doing this?".
- Habits of Mind: Tools for Student Success - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Leila Stone. "How can we encourage our students to use the habits of mind [having a disposition toward intelligent behavior when confronted with problems that have no obvious solution]that lead to effective learning?" and "How can we tell if they are doing this?".
- Helping African American Male Students to Succeed03/2014Flex/PD - Online
- Helping Students Overcome Their Fear of Writing04/2014Articles and PublicationsMost students in my developmental writing classes claim they “hate” writing. It’s a familiar refrain. But, it is less about “hate” and more about a lack of preparation in the subject area. It is not until they gain this experience and realize for themselves what is wrong and what is right with their own work will their writing improve.
- Hiring and Equity workshop - Summer 201407/2014Flex/PD - SummerThursday, July 10, 2014. Presented by Julia Jolly.
- How Economically Diverse Is Your College? A 'New York Times’ Ranking May Soon Tell09/2014Articles and PublicationsThe newspaper's new project isn't trying to pick the best colleges. It’s more interested in how well they attract underprivileged students.
- How Professors in St. Louis Are Teaching the Lessons of Ferguson’s Unrest09/2014Articles and PublicationsFour faculty members see much more than a teachable moment in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man and the violence that followed.
- How Teaching Online Made Me a Better Face-to-Face Instructor08/2014Articles and PublicationsThere are pros and cons to online courses, just like F2F courses, but for me, transitioning many of my courses online made me think in a different way about teaching and learning.
- How To Diversity Your Life08/2014Articles and Publications9 Ways To Diversify Your Life. And with the greatest invention since the wheel, the Internet, it’s easier to do it now than ever before.
- How to Drop a Student Online Workshop08/2014Flex/PD - FallThis workshop is primarily for new faculty and staff, and anybody interested, needing to learn how to drop students online.
- Humanities: Still Here09/2014Articles and PublicationsSurvey finds departments and numbers of faculty positions more stable than is widely assumed, and policies on use of digital materials for promotion absent from most institutions.