The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with H
- Habits of Mind: Tools for Student Success03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. "How can we encourage our students to use the habits of mind [having a disposition toward intelligent behavior when confronted with problems that have no obvious solution]that lead to effective learning?" and "How can we tell if they are doing this?".
- Habits of Mind: Tools for Student Success - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Leila Stone. "How can we encourage our students to use the habits of mind [having a disposition toward intelligent behavior when confronted with problems that have no obvious solution]that lead to effective learning?" and "How can we tell if they are doing this?".
- Hands-on Google Apps for Beginners (Tech Wednesday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 14, 2015. This is a small, hands-on workshop for the very beginning-est beginner. Come and join three (3) colleagues and learn how to increase student engagement and collaboration with Google apps. You will learn how to: Get students collaborating on one project from anywhere in the world, Securely get your files from any computer anywhere in the world, Never hear another student say they lost a file and could not turn in the assignment, Do online office hours with 2 clicks.
- Hands-On Rice Dumpling Workshop & Dim Sum Presentation11/2014Flex/PD - FallNovember 20, 2014. In this workshop series, you’ll hear some stories about dim sums, know its development, and see various kinds of dim sum presentation. A limited number of participants will have hands-on practice on making and cooking and tasting one dish. The first dim sum in this workshop series is steamed sticky rice ball with sweet filling coated with shredded coconut.
- Helping African American Male Students to Succeed03/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM.
- Helping Students Overcome Their Fear of Writing04/2014Articles and PublicationsMost students in my developmental writing classes claim they “hate” writing. It’s a familiar refrain. But, it is less about “hate” and more about a lack of preparation in the subject area. It is not until they gain this experience and realize for themselves what is wrong and what is right with their own work will their writing improve.
- Helping You Help Us: A Conversation with Current SCC Students About Foster Care and The Pursuit of Higher Education (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. This workshop will focus on developing an effective process of communication between SCC faculty, staff, and administrators with SCC students who are current or former foster youth. We will explore ways to identify and understand triggers for youth who have grown up in the foster care system. Attendees will also learn about campus programming that supports current and former foster youth, like Fostering Futures within the EOPS program.
- Hiring and Equity workshop - Summer 201407/2014Flex/PD - SummerThursday, July 10, 2014. Presented by Julia Jolly.
- How Does Temperament Affect Online Student Success and Retention09/2014Articles and PublicationsDo certain personality traits increase students’ chances of success in the online learning environment?
- How Economically Diverse Is Your College? A 'New York Times’ Ranking May Soon Tell09/2014Articles and PublicationsThe newspaper's new project isn't trying to pick the best colleges. It’s more interested in how well they attract underprivileged students.
- How Obama’s Action on Immigration Will Affect Higher Education12/2014Articles and PublicationsThe president’s decision to extend limited legal status to up to five million immigrants, announced Thursday night, will open college doors to many people.
- How Professors in St. Louis Are Teaching the Lessons of Ferguson’s Unrest09/2014Articles and PublicationsFour faculty members see much more than a teachable moment in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man and the violence that followed.
- How Teaching Online Made Me a Better Face-to-Face Instructor08/2014Articles and PublicationsThere are pros and cons to online courses, just like F2F courses, but for me, transitioning many of my courses online made me think in a different way about teaching and learning.
- How to Communicate the Value of Your Faculty Development Center12/2014Articles and PublicationsConsider this hypothetical situation: The vice president of academic affairs has just sent you a cryptic email asking you to define the impact of your faculty development center. Could you do so? What would you say? How would you measure the impact?
- How to Deal with Incivility in the Online Classroom12/2014Articles and PublicationsIncivility in the online classroom can take many forms. Angela Stone Schmidt, director of graduate programs in the School of Nursing and associate dean College of Nursing & Health Professions at Arkansas State University—Jonesboro, uses Morrisette’s definition: “interfering with a cooperative learning atmosphere.” So in addition to inappropriate, rude, offensive, or bullying behaviors, Schmidt considers behaviors such as academic dishonesty, over-participation or domination and under-participation to be forms of incivility. In an interview with Online Classroom, she offered the following advice on how to reduce incivility with a proactive stance and how to address it when it does occur.
- How To Diversity Your Life08/2014Articles and Publications9 Ways To Diversify Your Life. And with the greatest invention since the wheel, the Internet, it’s easier to do it now than ever before.
- How to Drop a Student Online Workshop08/2014Flex/PD - FallThis workshop is primarily for new faculty and staff, and anybody interested, needing to learn how to drop students online.
- How to Make Videos and Caption Them (Tech Wednesday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 14, 2015. Do you need to make videos for your class? Come to this workshop and get all the info you need to make short, accessible videos and caption them with as little effort as possible.
- How to Use SOCRATES (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. Learn how to create courses and programs in SOCRATES. This will be a hands-on workshop suitable for both beginners and advanced users. You can work on actual curriculum proposals or just practice with TEMP proposals.
- Humanities: Still Here09/2014Articles and PublicationsSurvey finds departments and numbers of faculty positions more stable than is widely assumed, and policies on use of digital materials for promotion absent from most institutions.