The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with I
- I Need My Brain05/2015Articles and PublicationsThe exact long-term effects of concussions are still being discovered and debated, but the consensus is that the head injuries can cause lasting damage. While hard data on the number of players leaving athletics due to concussions are difficult to come by, medical and athletics professionals say an increasing number of them are deciding that whatever the long-term risks of concussions are, they’re too costly.
- I Took a MOOC, and I Think I Liked It06/2015Surveys and Survey ResultsFor the first time since leaving graduate school almost 15 years ago, I enrolled in a class, “Maps and the Geospatial Revolution,” and the first day wasn’t like that of any other class I’ve taken. In lieu of finding a seat, I placed a virtual pin (labeled “participant”) on a digital world map, along with 47,000 of my classmates scattered around the world. I was enrolled in a MOOC.
- IBA (Interest-Based Approach) Training Fall 201509/2015Flex/PD - FallUsing the interest-based communication and decision-making process to create an environment in which individuals participate fully, feel respected, and receive recognition for the contributions they make.
- Improving Your WordPress Site - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Jen Schwedler. Have a WordPress website and want to try something new? Need to troubleshoot layout issues? Interested in adding new functionality to your site? Bring your WordPress knowledge and your site and get customized support in taking your WordPress site to the next level.
- In Budget, Obama’s Unfettered Case for Spreading the Wealth02/2015Articles and PublicationsTo pay for such initiatives, including free community college and more generous subsidies for child care and tax credits for education…
- In Case of Emergency08/2014Flex/PD - FallThis workshop is designed by Health Services to assist in the management of common medical issues experienced in the classroom and on campus. The presentation includes when to call, who to call, and what to do while you are waiting for medical assistance. Health issues to be covered include basic first aid, fainting, seizures, diabetic emergencies, and other common medical conditions. Come join us!
- In Online Courses, Students Learn More by Doing Than by Watching09/2015Articles and PublicationsWhen students enroll in MOOCs, they almost always watch a series of video lectures. But without also engaging interactively, a report says, they won't know when they're...Click to see more!
- In Service Sector, No Rest for the Working02/2015Articles and PublicationsEmployees are literally losing sleep as restaurants, retailers and many other businesses shrink the intervals between shifts and rely on smaller, leaner staffs to shave costs. These scheduling practices can take a toll on employees who have to squeeze commuting, family duties and sleep into fewer hours between shifts. The growing practice of the same workers closing the doors at night and returning to open them in the morning even has its own name: “clopening.”
- In the Final 'Gainful Employment' Rule, a Key Measure Vanishes11/2014Articles and PublicationsThe rule was expected to hold programs accountable for borrowers’ default rates. But in a win for community colleges, that metric has been dropped.
- Increasing Student Completion through Accelerated English and Math02/2015Flex/PD - SpringThe workshop will include student outcomes data, classroom materials, video, and tools faculty can use to develop accelerated models for their own campus.
- Information Security Training01/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Information Security training is mandatory for all classified and management employees. Temporary classified employees and student workers who access sensitive data should complete the Information Security Training as necessary. Training is also available for faculty coordinators handling sensitive data.
- Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) Workshop03/2015Flex/PD - SpringThe Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI) is a collaborative effort to help advance the institutional effectiveness of California Community Colleges. Most importantly, IEPI will enhance the system’s ability to effectively serve students. It is jointly administered by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office and College of the Canyons. Major components of the initiative include development of the statewide indicators per SB 852 and SB 860, making Technical Assistance Teams (now called Partnership Resource Teams) and implementation grants available to colleges interested in receiving assistance, and providing professional development opportunities.
- Institutional Effectiveness Reports - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Marybeth Buechner. Come to this workshop to learn what information is available in the SCC Institutional Effectiveness Reports. These reports include the SLO Report, Student Achievement Report, College Goal Indicators Report, Basic Skills Report, etc.
- Integrating Critical Thinking Into Your Curriculum (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. This will be a hands on workshop designed to provide discussion and activities to broaden the integration of strategies and exercises to engage students in more critical thinking processes. We will discuss teaching methodologies, activities and assessment tools designed to enhance your instruction without taking away from content teaching time. Bring your challenges, ideas, activities and strategies to share with your colleagues.
- Integrating Pearson's MyMathLab into D2L: An Easy Transition - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 205. Presented by Renee Medina and Daniel Gilbert Valencia. This workshop will walk math faculty through the steps necessary to integrate Pearson's MyMathLab into the D2L environment.
- Integrative Health Care Without Borders05/2014Flex/PD - SpringJoin us as naturopathic physician and medical futurist Dr. Annette D'Armata leads a discussion on naturopathic medicine, global health and the future of medicine.
- Internships and Work Experience: How we can help students gain valuable work experience in their related major by working together. - Fall 2014 Flex09/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Learn how the SCC work experience education and Internship Program operates - the services we offer, how to connect students to our program, and the eligibility requirements for students.
- Intro to D2L02/2015Flex/PD - SpringAn introductory workshop for faculty interested in Desire2Learn training.
- Intro to D2l - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2015. Presented by Daniel Gilbert-Valencia. An introductory workshop for faculty interested in Desire2Learn training.
- Introduction to WordPress CMS08/2014Flex/PD - FallNew to WordPress or just interested in a review? This presentation will introduce you to the WordPress CMS using actual page templates for the new SCC website and explore the concept of multi-site management. You will learn how to create and edit pages, publish blog posts, and add graphics, links, and widgets.
- Introduction to WordPress Content Management System - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Jen Schwedler. New to WordPress or just interested in a review? This presentation will introduce you to the WordPress CMS using actual page templates for the new SCC website and explore the concept of multi-site management. Preregistration is REQUIRED for this event. Please follow the link to the Calendar for preregistration.
- Is Your Online or Hybrid Course Ready for Accreditation?04/2015Flex/PD - SpringIs your Online or Hybrid course ready for accreditation? This one-hour workshop will help you with a self-assessment to determine if your online or hybrid course meets the ACCJC standards for distance education.
- Issues in the Juvenile Justice System03/2014Flex/PD - FallDec. 4, 2013. Location: Learning Resource Center, LRC 105. The consequences of zero tolerance programs have pushed many young people from our education system and into the criminal justice system and have adversely impacted the educational achievement and participation of minority students.
- It’s Not Too Early to Begin Preparing Students for Cumulative Finals01/2015Articles and PublicationsThere are a couple of reasons why students don’t like comprehensive finals. First, they’re more work. Rather than four weeks’ worth of material to know and understand, there’s a semester or term’s worth of content to deal with. However, the research highlighted in an article in this issue of the newsletter and more like it strongly supports that continued interaction with the content increases the chances that it will be remembered and can be used subsequently.