The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with L
- Lamar Alexander Wants to Simplify, Simplify, Simplify11/2014Articles and PublicationsThe Tennessee Republican is likely to be the next chair of the Senate education committee. Streamlining and deregulation will be his stocks in trade.
- Lecture Continues as the Dominant Instructional Strategy, Study Finds11/2014Articles and PublicationsAt many institutions students now spend considerably less time on campus, and so if they are to be engaged with academic life, that involvement pretty much begins and ends in the classroom. So, are faculty using instructional techniques that do involve students in the classroom?
- Lessons Learned04/2014Articles and PublicationsJosh Wyner's new book describes what community colleges do well, and what they can do better.
- Letting the Students Lead Class Discussions04/2014Articles and PublicationsThe joy of discussion as a class activity is starting it up and seeing where it goes. Although some of the same themes come up in every discussion, how they emerge and the connections they raise vary as much as the individual students do. On a great discussion day, the talk flows freely in interesting and unexpected directions, much like jazz.
- Leveraging Technology to Support Students, Faculty and Staff Conference09/2014Flex/PD - FallWith increasingly limited resources and high demands from students, faculty, and staff, institutions are finding it difficult to provide effective support services. Join us online to explore a wide range of technology solutions, online opportunities and resources focused on supporting student success.
- Life in the Classroom Before Cellphones10/2014Articles and PublicationsA professor bribes her students not to use them during class, and everybody enjoys the results.
- LinkedIn for students and faculty08/2014Flex/PD - FallWhat is LinkedIn? Colleges and universities are using LinkedIn to build robust alumni networks that help students secure jobs and internships. Find out how you and your students can use the number one professional social network to explore career paths and build professional networks.A workshop was conducted on AUGUST 20 @ 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Slides and a handout are attached.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert- Valencia. Come and learn more about LinkedIn. Not only is it for previewing business and organizations profiles, you can network, learn about jobs nationwide, and interests that include now for education.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert-Valencia. What is LinkedIn? Colleges and universities are using LinkedIn to build robust alumni networks that help students secure jobs and internships. Come find out how you and your students can use the number one professional social network to explore career paths and build professional networks.
- Lourdes Pérez Musical Performance09/2014Flex/PD - FallLourdes’ soulful music draws from her jíbara (Puerto Rican mountain) roots and a socially conscious genre of Spanish/pan-Latin American music called nueva trova or nueva canción. Independent, theatrical and somewhat nomadic, Lourdes has devoted her work to promoting human rights and dignity around the globe.
- LRCA Meeting08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. 1:00pm-4:00pm. LRCA meeting for counselors in the Student Center.
- LRCFT / FACCC Benefits Conference08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2014. Health, Benefits & Retirement Conference.
- LRCFT / LRCCD 2014-2017 CONTRACT CHANGES - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Annette Barfield, SCC LRCFT Campus President and Robert Perrone, LRCFT Executive Director. Please join your LRCFT representatives as we discuss the changes to the 2014-2017 LRCFT contract. Substantive changes to Articles 2,3,4,5,8,9,11,14, 18,19 & 21 will be reviewed.
- Lumina Looks to Expand Use of Framework to Track Student Learning10/2014Articles and PublicationsThe foundation has spent three years testing its standards; now it’s hoping to get more institutions to adopt them.
- Lunch Workshop with McGraw Education: McGraw Hill’s “Connect”03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. An overview of the McGraw Hill’s “Connect”, a digital resource for student learning.
- Lync - New Phone System Review - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Karen Chewning, John Parker (DO), and Andy Divanyan. This workshop is designed to review the installation of the new telephone system, to provide any updates that may have occurred, and to provide employees with a Q&A session on this system.