The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with L
- Lamar Alexander Wants to Simplify, Simplify, Simplify11/2014Articles and PublicationsThe Tennessee Republican is likely to be the next chair of the Senate education committee. Streamlining and deregulation will be his stocks in trade.
- Learner-Centered Pedagogy and the Fear of Losing Control02/2015Articles and PublicationsI recall my fear, walking into class that first day. Twenty-five eager students greeted me expectantly. My plan for the first two weeks filled me with uncertainty.
- Lecture Continues as the Dominant Instructional Strategy, Study Finds11/2014Articles and PublicationsAt many institutions students now spend considerably less time on campus, and so if they are to be engaged with academic life, that involvement pretty much begins and ends in the classroom. So, are faculty using instructional techniques that do involve students in the classroom?
- Legislative Fixes for Remediation05/2015Articles and PublicationsLow success rates and high costs are driving more states and institutions to seek new ways to offer developmental or remedial college courses.
- Leveraging Technology to Support Students, Faculty and Staff Conference09/2014Flex/PD - FallWith increasingly limited resources and high demands from students, faculty, and staff, institutions are finding it difficult to provide effective support services. Join us online to explore a wide range of technology solutions, online opportunities and resources focused on supporting student success.
- Library Dept. Training: OneSearch and Instruction - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Jeff Karlsen. This is a training session for all librarians. It will focus on 1) the changes in public access to our print and media collections resulting from the shift from WebPac Pro (LOIS) to EBSCO Discovery Service (OneSearch), and 2) changes to the structure and content of our library workshops.
- Library Resources03/2015Articles and PublicationsContacts, library instruction, on-ground collection, databases & e-books, student focus, etc.
- Life in the Classroom Before Cellphones10/2014Articles and PublicationsA professor bribes her students not to use them during class, and everybody enjoys the results.
- Linguistic Expectations of College (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. ESL students do not stop taking classes once they have completed the ESL course series, and some may never take an ESL class; in fact, some ESL students are very likely in your courses right now. After grading the first set of papers, deciding how to respond to the language needs of ESL students in content courses may seem overwhelming or just impossible because of the primary needs and focus of the course. Never fear, this workshop is here. This workshop will review core tenets of language acquisition and how the different languages students speak will predictably create certain types of errors in student writing. Then, we will explore the different linguistic demands of college reading (across disciplines) and how to use the these readings as models for student writing.
- LinkedIn for students and faculty08/2014Flex/PD - FallWhat is LinkedIn? Colleges and universities are using LinkedIn to build robust alumni networks that help students secure jobs and internships. Find out how you and your students can use the number one professional social network to explore career paths and build professional networks.A workshop was conducted on AUGUST 20 @ 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Slides and a handout are attached.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert- Valencia. Come and learn more about LinkedIn. Not only is it for previewing business and organizations profiles, you can network, learn about jobs nationwide, and interests that include now for education.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert-Valencia. What is LinkedIn? Colleges and universities are using LinkedIn to build robust alumni networks that help students secure jobs and internships. Come find out how you and your students can use the number one professional social network to explore career paths and build professional networks.
- Living Up to the Hype03/2015Articles and PublicationsCUNY’s accelerated degree program for community college students doubles graduation rates and is cost-effective, a study finds. And the model may be exported to three Ohio colleges.
- Looking Beyond the Data to Help Students Succeed06/2015Surveys and Survey ResultsIf Santa Monica College had relied solely on data analytics to predict whether Jaime J. would succeed, the picture would have looked bleak. He was, after all, a financially struggling, first-generation Hispanic student who was juggling a job with classes. His math skills were shaky. But there was more to the picture than that.
- Los Rios Community College District Nutrition (NUTR) Workshop - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by John Polagruto, Jessica Coppola, Nadien Kirkpatrick, other Nutrition colleagues across the district. The workshop is intended to involve all full-time and part-time NUTR instructors across the Los Rios Community College Division to cover a myriad of topics related - ultimately - to student success.
- Los Rios District-wide ESL Workshop - Fall 2015 Flex06/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 18, 2015. Presented by Gabriella Nuttall, Barbara Toupadakis, and Shantra Muther. ESL full time and adjunct faculty will meet to discuss current issues of common interest in the district, including CB 21 Coding, C-ID Coding, and Integrated-Skills Courses.
- Los Rios Health, Benefits, and Retirement Conference (Registration Required)07/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 18, 2015. Los Rios College Federation of Teachers and Faculty Association of California Community Colleges Education Institute are proud to invite you to the seventh annual full-day Health, Benefits, and Retirement Conference on Tuesday, August 18 at Sacramento City College.
- Lost in a Sea of Yellow: Teaching Students a Better Way to Highlight05/2015Articles and PublicationsA lot of students are in love with their highlighters, especially those bright, fluorescent-colored ones. They use them to highlight course materials, sometimes underlining whole pages of text. When I first saw a text so fluorescent that it all but glowed, I wondered why in the world somebody would spend that much time underlining. Later I understood it was really a cry for help. “I can’t tell what’s important, so I’ll just highlight the entire section so I don’t miss something.” Highlighting can be a useful way of interacting with text, but it needs to be done in a thoughtful way.
- Lourdes Pérez Musical Performance09/2014Flex/PD - FallLourdes’ soulful music draws from her jíbara (Puerto Rican mountain) roots and a socially conscious genre of Spanish/pan-Latin American music called nueva trova or nueva canción. Independent, theatrical and somewhat nomadic, Lourdes has devoted her work to promoting human rights and dignity around the globe.
- LRCA Meeting08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. 1:00pm-4:00pm. LRCA meeting for counselors in the Student Center.
- LRCFT / FACCC Benefits Conference08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2014. Health, Benefits & Retirement Conference.
- LRCFT / LRCCD 2014-2017 CONTRACT CHANGES - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Annette Barfield, SCC LRCFT Campus President and Robert Perrone, LRCFT Executive Director. Please join your LRCFT representatives as we discuss the changes to the 2014-2017 LRCFT contract. Substantive changes to Articles 2,3,4,5,8,9,11,14, 18,19 & 21 will be reviewed.
- Lumina Looks to Expand Use of Framework to Track Student Learning10/2014Articles and PublicationsThe foundation has spent three years testing its standards; now it’s hoping to get more institutions to adopt them.
- Lunch Workshop with McGraw Education: McGraw Hill’s “Connect”03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. An overview of the McGraw Hill’s “Connect”, a digital resource for student learning.
- Lync - New Phone System Review - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Karen Chewning, John Parker (DO), and Andy Divanyan. This workshop is designed to review the installation of the new telephone system, to provide any updates that may have occurred, and to provide employees with a Q&A session on this system.