The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with L
- LAMP Orientation01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Duane Leonard. LAMP partners (mentors and instructors) are invited to an orientation meeting. We will evaluate last semester’s program and discuss strategies for making LAMP as successful as possible this semester.
- Leadership for Tomorrow01/2016Flex/PD - SpringCheck calendar link for more information.
- Learning About College Student Retention09/2015Articles and PublicationsAlthough college student retention is not a new topic, it is a new area of study for some. College student retention is an interesting and important topic when you consider that nearly 50% of those who enter higher education will not earn a degree. So here are some ways you can begin to explore this interesting and fascinating topic.
- Let It Breathe01/2016Articles and PublicationsHow I stopped "over-efforting" in my teaching and learned to let both my students and I breathe.
- Let Them Eat Cake (Competently): Competency-based education, the new darling of postsecondary disruption advocates, threatens to further stratify higher education.02/2016Flex/PD - SpringCompetency-based education threatens to further stratify higher education (essay) College for America. In other, more brick-and-mortar locales, it has served as a means to restructure …
- Let's Focus More on the First Year03/2016Articles and PublicationsStudents enter college hoping it will be a major step up from what they were doing before, writes Roger Martin, but they are often disappointed.
- Let's Get Accessible - spring 2016 Flex01/2016Flex/PD - SpringBring your course syllabus to this hands-on workshop. You will learn how to format it in a way that makes it fully accessible to screen readers. You will also learn about technologies, design standards, and accessibility issues associated with the use of D2L or any other LMS (cough…Canvas).
- Let's Talk About Teaching01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Dianne Bennett, Don Button, Paul deGennaro, Norman Lorenz, Rick WoodmanseE, and Alex Adan. A *Band of Flippers invites you to a round table conversation about teaching, learning, and supporting student success. We will share some of our observations and experiences teaching with a flipped format to prompt the discussion.
- Leveraging Technology to Support Students, Faculty and Staff Conference09/2014Flex/PD - FallWith increasingly limited resources and high demands from students, faculty, and staff, institutions are finding it difficult to provide effective support services. Join us online to explore a wide range of technology solutions, online opportunities and resources focused on supporting student success.
- Liberal Arts Minus Liberal Arts Professors11/2015Articles and PublicationsWhen a college eliminates its only positions for philosophy and American literature, but adds a slot for music therapy, has it changed its mission?
- Library Department Training01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Karen Tercho. This is a training session for all librarians that will focus on changes to the structure and content of our library workshops and course-integrated instruction sessions. The session will include teaching demonstrations and discussion of instructional strategies, learning activities, and student learning outcomes.
- Library Dept. Training: OneSearch and Instruction - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Jeff Karlsen. This is a training session for all librarians. It will focus on 1) the changes in public access to our print and media collections resulting from the shift from WebPac Pro (LOIS) to EBSCO Discovery Service (OneSearch), and 2) changes to the structure and content of our library workshops.
- Library Resources03/2015Articles and PublicationsContacts, library instruction, on-ground collection, databases & e-books, student focus, etc.
- Linguistic Expectations of College (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. ESL students do not stop taking classes once they have completed the ESL course series, and some may never take an ESL class; in fact, some ESL students are very likely in your courses right now. After grading the first set of papers, deciding how to respond to the language needs of ESL students in content courses may seem overwhelming or just impossible because of the primary needs and focus of the course. Never fear, this workshop is here. This workshop will review core tenets of language acquisition and how the different languages students speak will predictably create certain types of errors in student writing. Then, we will explore the different linguistic demands of college reading (across disciplines) and how to use the these readings as models for student writing.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert- Valencia. Come and learn more about LinkedIn. Not only is it for previewing business and organizations profiles, you can network, learn about jobs nationwide, and interests that include now for education.
- LinkedIn- Features including Business Profiles, Networking, Jobs & Interests - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Daniel Gilbert-Valencia. What is LinkedIn? Colleges and universities are using LinkedIn to build robust alumni networks that help students secure jobs and internships. Come find out how you and your students can use the number one professional social network to explore career paths and build professional networks.
- Looking Beyond the Data to Help Students Succeed01/2016Articles and PublicationsAssessment tools let educators zero in on traits they can help students improve, like classroom behaviors and study skills, conference speakers say.
- Los Rios Community College District Nutrition (NUTR) Workshop - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by John Polagruto, Jessica Coppola, Nadien Kirkpatrick, other Nutrition colleagues across the district. The workshop is intended to involve all full-time and part-time NUTR instructors across the Los Rios Community College Division to cover a myriad of topics related - ultimately - to student success.
- Los Rios District-wide ESL Meeting - Spring 2016 Flex01/2016Flex/PD - SpringAt this district-wide ESL meeting, faculty from ARC, CRC, FLC, and SCC will discuss the new thematic blocks and ESL courses at CRC as well as other issues of interest to ESL departments.
- Los Rios District-wide ESL Workshop - Fall 2015 Flex06/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 18, 2015. Presented by Gabriella Nuttall, Barbara Toupadakis, and Shantra Muther. ESL full time and adjunct faculty will meet to discuss current issues of common interest in the district, including CB 21 Coding, C-ID Coding, and Integrated-Skills Courses.
- Los Rios Health, Benefits, and Retirement Conference (Registration Required)07/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 18, 2015. Los Rios College Federation of Teachers and Faculty Association of California Community Colleges Education Institute are proud to invite you to the seventh annual full-day Health, Benefits, and Retirement Conference on Tuesday, August 18 at Sacramento City College.
- Lourdes Pérez Musical Performance09/2014Flex/PD - FallLourdes’ soulful music draws from her jíbara (Puerto Rican mountain) roots and a socially conscious genre of Spanish/pan-Latin American music called nueva trova or nueva canción. Independent, theatrical and somewhat nomadic, Lourdes has devoted her work to promoting human rights and dignity around the globe.
- LRCA Meeting08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. 1:00pm-4:00pm. LRCA meeting for counselors in the Student Center.
- LRCFT / FACCC Benefits Conference08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2014. Health, Benefits & Retirement Conference.
- LRCFT / LRCCD 2014-2017 CONTRACT CHANGES - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Annette Barfield, SCC LRCFT Campus President and Robert Perrone, LRCFT Executive Director. Please join your LRCFT representatives as we discuss the changes to the 2014-2017 LRCFT contract. Substantive changes to Articles 2,3,4,5,8,9,11,14, 18,19 & 21 will be reviewed.
- Lunch Workshop with McGraw Education: McGraw Hill’s “Connect”03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 28, 2014. An overview of the McGraw Hill’s “Connect”, a digital resource for student learning.
- Lync - New Phone System Review - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Karen Chewning, John Parker (DO), and Andy Divanyan. This workshop is designed to review the installation of the new telephone system, to provide any updates that may have occurred, and to provide employees with a Q&A session on this system.