The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with N
- Nature Publishing Group Requires Faculty Authors to Waive ‘Moral Rights’03/2014Articles and PublicationsFaculty authors who contract to write for the publisher of Nature, Scientific American, and many other journals should know that they could be signing away more than just the economic rights to their work, according to the director of the Office of Copyright and Scholarly Communication at Duke University...
- Navigating the College Website - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Elaine Ader. In March, 2014 the college launched its new WordPress based website. Come learn about the features and navigation and learn how you can contribute to the use of the site to disseminate timely and important information to faculty, staff, and students.
- New Faculty Orientation09/2014Face-to-Face Event (Non-Flex/PD)This orientation will offer new faculty of SCC with an opportunity to learn what to do in the first month, the evaluation process, participatory governance and college service, student discipline, and much more! Come learn!
- New Library Resources and Services in D2L - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Shu Chen and Jeff Karlsen. Come and check out the new library services and resources for you and your students!
- New SCC Web Launch Open Forums03/2014Flex/PD - SpringMarch 12, 13, 26, & 27, 2014. These forums included an overview of new features of the website, and will be an opportunity for faculty, staff, and students to ask questions, explore, and and make suggestions.
- New Survey Documents Pay of Hourly Workers on Campuses04/2014Articles and PublicationsIt provides rare salary data on some positions, like research and lab assistants, that exist only on college campuses.
- New Trend: Students Enrolling with no intension of graduating03/2014Articles and Publications‘Skill builder’ students are enrolling in college, but not for the degree
- New York Times, The - Millennial Searchers02/2014Articles and PublicationsA New York Times article (November 30, 2013), "Millennial Searchers," debunks the myth that "twenty-something’s are the most self-absorbed generation ever." He observes... "Today's young adults born after 1980...are the most educated generation in American history and, like the baby boomers, one of the largest. Yet since 2008, they have been...facing one of the worst job markets in history....
- New York Times, The - Tests Can Enhance College Learning02/2014Articles and PublicationsIt supports the value of frequent quizzes in helping students to learn the material. To quote “Grading college students on quizzes given at the beginning of every class, rather than on midterms or a final exam, increases both attendance and overall performance, scientists reported Wednesday”.
- New York Times, The - The Changing American Family- It changes the way we teach, learn, and serve02/2014Articles and Publications“American households have never been more diverse, more surprising, more baffling.” In this special issue of Science Times, NATALIE ANGIER takes stock of our changing definition of family.
- Newly Tenured & Newly Hired Faculty Reception09/2014Face-to-Face Event (Non-Flex/PD)You’re invited to attend the reception for newly tenured and newly hired faculty. Come and support your colleagues!
- No Transfer Needed03/2014Articles and PublicationsDozens of universities recently touted transfer agreements with community colleges as part of President Obama’s summit on higher education. Drexel University didn’t participate in the event. But it can hang with any private university when it comes to working closely with community colleges.
- Nursing and Allied Health Faculty Event - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2014. Presented by Sue Hussey. For all nursing & allied health faculty in the Greater Sacramento area. Come join us to learn and share about inter-professional education, best practices in simulation, use of digital media for teaching, and emerging practice trends for nursing & allied health professions.