The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with O
- Office Fitness and Workplace Exercise – October Workshops10/2014Flex/PD - FallOctober 14 & 16, 2014. Presented by Brody Choy. Take 30 minutes from your workday to learn some fun, simple, and quick stretches and exercises that can be done alone or with coworkers, either at your desk or elsewhere on campus and just about anywhere.
- Office Fitness and Workplace Exercises - Summer 201406/2014Flex/PD - SummerThursday, June 12, 2014. 10:00am-10:30am and 10:30am-11:00am. Presented by Brody Choy in City Cafe #2.
- On the Ground: Nonviolent Popular Resistance in the village of Nabi Saleh, Palestine10/2014Flex/PD - FallOctober 23, 2014. 12:00pm - 1:00pm. Bassem Tamimi has been arrested by Israeli authorities over a dozen times, at one point spending more than three years in administrative detention without trial. The European Union has described him as a "human rights defender" and Amnesty International designated him a “prisoner of conscience.” He was arrested in October 2012 for urging Palestinians to boycott the “occupation and its products” in a flash-mob demonstration at an Israeli-owned West Bank supermarket. In 1993, he lost consciousness for eight days after an interrogation session. Join us for this rare opportunity to meet grassroots popular resistance leader Bassem Tamimi.
- One Search to Rule them All: The new look of library research at SCC - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Jeff Karlsen. After 10+ years, the LOIS catalog is fading away. Come to get caught up on how you and your students will be finding books, ebooks and articles using OneSearch, a unified interface providing access to the Library's print, media and online collections.
- Online Education initiative (OEI) - Fall 2016 Flex05/2016Flex/PD - FallPresented by Kandace Knudson and Kevin Flash.What’s the Online Education Initiative? This session explains how the OEI was designed to help California Community College students complete their educational goals more quickly.
- Online Penalty06/2015Articles and PublicationsMany politicians and educators see online education as key to expanding access to higher education. But a large study of online education used by students at California's massive community college system cautions that student success may not go hand-in-hand with online education.
- Online Teaching, It Turns Out, Isn’t Impersonal01/2016Articles and PublicationsWhen these courses fail, it’s often for the same reasons that the face-to-face version do.
- Online Writing Tutoring Using Los Rios Gmail (Tech Wednesday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 14, 2015. The SCC Writing Center offered an online tutoring pilot program to students during the Fall 2014 semester. This program aimed at broadening the tutoring services offered by the Writing Center to better serve distance education students. The purpose of this workshop is to inform SCC faculty and staff about how online writing tutoring works and what students need to do to participate. Presenters will also demonstrate how students can prepare their Los Rios Gmail accounts for online tutoring and use of Google Video Chat and Drive to communicate with Writing Center tutors. The successes and troubleshooting involved with this pilot program will also be discussed.
- Open Educational Resources01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Bruce Zenner. The workshop on Open Educational Resources will consist of a panel of SCC faculty from several departments across disciplines, who are using non-traditional text-based learning approaches in their classrooms. In addition, potential grant applications to develop such approaches via AB798 will also be discussed. Panel is open to all faculty.
- Organization is a Skill, Not a Trait05/2016Articles and PublicationsOrganization is a Skill, Not a Trait. That means it can be learned.
- Organized Binders: What Are They and How do I use Them in the Classroom01/2016Flex/PD - SpringMitch Weathers, the spokesperson for Organized Binder, and Travis Silcox of the English Department will present the use of this low tech classroom tool. The Organized Binder method, as the name says, helps students to organize their classroom material. The Organized Binder approach also helps faculty with more effective delivery; in short, it organizes us, too! Come check it out and see if this simple idea in classroom management would work for your students and your own teaching style. The Organized Binder concept was presented at our last Puente Project training, and it was received very enthusiastically among the teachers there.
- Orientation to the Davis Center: Who Are Our Students? - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Don Palm. Join us for coffee and conversation and an orientation to the Davis Center. We'll discuss a range of topics including: what do our surveys tell us about the students and their interests and needs? What are the resources available for faculty and students in Davis (at the Center and in the community)? What are myths and realities about teaching in Davis? This is not just an orientation for new faculty--these are topics that will be valuable for all faculty and staff.