The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with P
- Participatory Decision-making - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Marybeth Buechner. Come to this workshop to learn more about Participatory Decision-making processes in place at SCC. A copy of the Blue Book will be provided.
- Participatory Decision-making - Summer 201506/2015Flex/PD - SummerJuly 16, 2015. Come to this workshop to learn more about Participatory Decision-making processes in place at SCC. A copy of the Blue Book will be provided.
- Pedagogical Knowledge: Three Worlds Apart06/2015Articles and PublicationsWe know a lot about teaching and learning, but our knowledge is scattered across three separate domains.
- Peer Review in Distance Education: Exploring our Future - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2015. Presented by Kandace Knudson. In this open discussion between faculty stakeholders, we explore the idea of creating a local peer-review mechanism for assessing the quality of distance education courses.
- PERS Retirement Workshop09/2014Flex/PD - FallPlease join us for our semi-annual PERS Retirement Workshop to be held at the District Office Board Room. This workshop will contain presentations on the Los Rios Retiree Medical Program, PERS Retirement and Social Security.* There will also be time available for questions. To registerfor this workshop, please forward your supervisor’s e-mail approval to attend to Kris Kurk in the Employee Benefits Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plagiarism: An Interesting Disconnect between Students’ Thoughts and Actions01/2015Articles and PublicationsAlmost 800 business, engineering, education, and health services students completed a fairly typical plagiarism survey. They were asked how strongly they agreed with a statement defining plagiarism as copying text and inserting it in a paper without citing the source. They were asked how often they engaged in this specific behavior. As in many other survey studies, 75 percent of these students agreed or strongly agreed that copying text without referencing it was plagiarism. Eighty-one percent said that the behavior should result in strong punishment, and 84 percent said that they never or rarely engaged in this practice. None of those results are new or particularly surprising.
- Planning for Next Semester, A Syllabus Review04/2014Flex/PD - Spring"This workshop will be conducted as a round table discussion. Please bring three (3) copies of your current syllabus to trade with other faculty members. We will review syllabi from the perspectives of students, faculty, and administrators to create a document that provides a solid basis for course management."
- Plato Software Training07/2015Flex/PD - SummerJuly 15 is an initial 3-hour training for LSTC faculty/staff of Edmentum's Plato software for the LTAT 92 class. It will be held in LR-141 from 8am-11am. August 12 is a 6-hour training that will provide more hands-on training of the Plato software in preparing for the first day of class for LTAT 92. It will be held 8am-3pm in the LSTC lab (LR-144).
- Potential New Leaders of 2-Year Colleges Face Higher Hurdles06/2015Surveys and Survey ResultsThe nation’s 1,123 two-year colleges have had more than 700 transitions in presidential leadership since July 2011, with a similar turnover among vice presidents, deans, and senior faculty members, said Walter G. Bumphus, president and chief executive of the community-college association.
- Practice and Student Support (Part One)03/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. Supporting Student Success in the Inter-generational Classroom.
- Practice and Student Support (Part Two)03/2014Flex/PD - OnlinePLEASE COMPLETE (LINKED) ONLINE WORKSHOP EVALUATION FORM. A Study of Returning Women Students: Insights for Classroom.
- Prehistoric Geography: Secrets from the Mud10/2014Flex/PD - FallNovember 17, 2014. Please join the Geography Department in celebrating Geography Awareness Week by welcoming Dr. Wanket as he discusses his research reconstructing the climate and landscapes of the western United States.
- Preparing for the College's Accreditation Team Visit - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Don Palm. Who are these people and what are they looking for?
- Preparing for the Performance Review Process08/2014Flex/PD - FallPresented by Annette Barfield (SCC Campus LRCFT President) and Ginni May (SCC Campus Academic Senate President), these workshops will present information and guidance pertinent for faculty serving in the capacity as a peer evaluator and faculty undergoing the review process.
- President Jeffery's Convocation Address - Fall 201408/2014Articles and PublicationsPlan it. Work it. Finish it. A 360 Approach to Student and College Success.
- Professional Development Clearinghouse (Webinar)04/2015Flex/PD - SpringApril 29, 2015. The California Community Colleges are in the process of creating a state-of-the-art online professional development clearinghouse—a “one-stop shop” of effective practices, trainings and other resources for faculty, staff, administrators, and trustees.
- Professional Development Coordination (4/2/14)04/2014Face-to-Face Event (Non-Flex/PD)April 2, 2014. LRC-105. Professional Development Coordination meeting organized by the Staff Resource Center and hosted by Norman Lorenz.
- Professional Development with Lynda & Pluralsight - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 19, 2015. Presented by Daniel Gilbert-Valencia. Jump start your skill set this year with online training. Find out how you can get access to a huge library of videos on almost any subject you can imagine!
- Professional Development, CCCCO Report Fall 201304/2014Articles and PublicationsRecommendations to Revitalize and Re-envision? Professional Development in the California Community Colleges.
- Professor and Students Share Reactions to the Flipped Classroom05/2015Articles and Publicationsn the following video interview, Professor LaRocco describes his experience with “flipping” his class that he has been teaching at the School of International Public AffairsSIPA since 2007.
- Program's Extra Support for Community-College Students Is Paying Off03/2015Articles and PublicationsThe City University of New York’s Accelerated Study in Associate Programs sharply increased graduation rates of students who needed remedial classes, a new study...
- Promoting a Culture of Financial Literacy (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. Fostering student success through MONEY MANAGEMENT. We will explore how SCC faculty and staff can promote a culture of financial literacy on our campus. We will explore the ways in which we can offer a comprehensive educational tool for faculty and staff in classrooms and when working with students one-on-one. You will learn more about the California Community College’s Financial Literacy Campaign and how we can expand Financial Literacy on our campus!
- Promoting Academic Integrity: Are We Doing Enough?06/2015Articles and PublicationsCheating continues to be a pervasive problem in college courses. Institutions have policies designed to prevent it and faculty employ a range of strategies that aim to catch those who do. And still the problem persists.
- Promoting Digital Citizenship and Academic Integrity in Technology Classrooms02/2015Articles and PublicationsNew technology continues to emerge and influence the classroom learning environment. Students now have immediate and unlimited access to digital content, resources, and databases. To capitalize on the wealth of available Internet resources, many educators are joining the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiative, which encourages students to use their own personal electronic devices (smartphones, tablets) during class time to augment and support learning.
- Promoting Safety in Community College Districts - Webinar04/2015Flex/PD - SpringPlease take advantage of this FREE webinar, Promoting Safety in Community College Districts, presented by Heather R. Coffman. This webinar is presented via CCC Confer.
- Prompts to Help Students Reflect on How They Approach Learning11/2014Articles and PublicationsAs fall courses start to wind down, it's an apt time for reflection. Here are some pithy (I hope) prompts that might motivate students to consider their beliefs about learning. The prompts ask about learning in a larger, more integrated sense, and also challenge students to analyze the effectiveness of their approach to learning. Some of these are course specific, others about collections of courses, and still others encourage a more holistic look at learning.