The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with R
- Rank and File03/2014Articles and PublicationsAt most community colleges, instructors remain instructors whether they’ve been there for 2 months or 20 years. But North Carolina’s largest two-year institution is breaking the mold, offering instructors the opportunity to apply for promotion to traditional academic ranks and the raises that come with them.
- Rating My Professor - For Real04/2014Articles and PublicationsStudents at University of Minnesota might be getting access to official student evaluation data starting this fall, potentially ending dependence on the very popular, unofficial sites that professors deride.
- Reading Apprenticeship Workshop: Making the Invisible Visible10/2014Flex/PD - FallOctober 30, 2014. 12:00pm - 12:50pm. Classroom Routines in Support of Better Reading.
- Reading Circles Get Students to Do the Reading03/2014Articles and PublicationsIn my course, the required reading is intensive and extensive. Students must read multiple texts that range across disciplines, genres, history, and culture. The goal of this interdisciplinary course is improvement of critical reading, writing, and thinking skills. Many students arrive in class not having done the reading.
- Reality Check: Helping to Manage Student Expectations08/2014Articles and PublicationsUnrealistic expectations present teachers with a conundrum. We want students to believe in themselves. We want them committed to doing well. But we need them to be realistic about what success demands.
- Red-Faced Over Sex Weeks10/2014Articles and PublicationsRecently, the debate has played out most fiercely at Tennessee, where a new policy this year requires students to opt into paying a $20 student fee to go toward student activities, including Sex Week.
- Reengineering Retention08/2014Articles and PublicationsIndeed, progress was often slowed for want of adequate funding. But with a few years’ attention to improving conditions for living and learning, we suddenly discovered we had another problem to address: We had a larger student body than we had intended because fewer students were leaving.
- Release of College Rankings Next Week09/2014Articles and PublicationsAt the newspaper’s Schools for Tomorrow conference next week, the Times will reveal its rankings, which will be based on how well colleges and universities attract underprivileged students.
- Reshaping Campus Libraries08/2014Articles and PublicationsReshaping Campus Libraries.
- Revisions Proposed to New Accreditation Regulation10/2014Articles and PublicationsAs reported in the last Weekly, the Chancellor's Office will be proposing amended regulations to the California Community Colleges Board of Governors on accreditation.
- Rise of Online Booksellers Brings Complaints From Campus Bookstores09/2014Articles and PublicationsWhen the orange Chegg bus rolls onto a campus, one person is unlikely to be excited about its free swag and energy drinks: the college-bookstore manager.